Good Deal on my new Macbook?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Even with the student discount, the same thing from the online Apple Store is $1,649.00. RAM is expensive through them though, so it would be a little cheaper if you got your RAM somewhere else, but even then it wouldn't come close to being around $1,000.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
wallock said:
Hey everybody - I just bought a Macbook from a guy on another forum. I paid $1000 for it. It is a White 2GHz with 60GB, Superdrive, 2GB RAM. I was worried it was a scam, but it actually arrived! He used a pad to prevent staining on the palm rest so it looks great. Does this seem too good to be true? I feel like I got a really good deal...
If you got it for $1,000, and you've looked it over, and it's in fine shape/good condition, why is there even a question?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Even with the student discount, the same thing from the online Apple Store is $1,649.00. RAM is expensive through them though, so it would be a little cheaper if you got your RAM somewhere else, but even then it wouldn't come close to being around $1,000.
But you should compare the price to the refurb price, not to the full retail price. A refurb 2.0 GHz White MacBook is $1099 w/o the memory upgrade. So with Memory upgrade, minus depreciation, let's call it $1250 or $1300. So yes, the MacBook was a great deal, but not as great as you imply.

And to the original poster who then sold it for $1500, congratulations, you managed to sell it for at least $200 more than it was worth. Whoever bought it from you could've bought it from *Apple*, with the full warranties that that implies, for far less than they paid you. With skillz like that you should make sure to put them to good use to get rich :p

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Whoever bought it from you could've bought it from *Apple*, with the full warranties that that implies, for far less than they paid you. With skillz like that you should make sure to put them to good use to get rich :p
If you buy a mac from a third party source, can you still get apple care???

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
$1500 for a pretty much stock White Macbook?! The only difference being upgraded ram!? That's amazing. I can't believe someone bought it at that price. Nice job.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
What if you don't have the original receipt? Say you have your eBay receipt, would that be enough along with a serial number?
No need for any receipt. Apple will go off your serial number as to whether it's still covered or not. If it is, then Applecare can be applied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.