Good deal on TB drive? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by This is Ryan, Dec 29, 2007.

1. This is Ryan macrumors newbie

I've seen a couple year-end deals on 1 TB internal drives for under $300.
    7200 rpm 32 mb....I'm looking to replace my original internal drive on my dual G5 2.5 and upgrade to Leopard and basically start over.

Here's my question--I do a fair amount of video editing (Final Cut), is it better to just partition the TB drive for a scratch drive? Or get a smaller internal and then buy a 500gb external for the render files and such?

I'm feeling the beginnings of a daunting task--upgrading RAM, a HD, and the OS....really hoping I don't screw up somewhere along the way.

2. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that if you use a separate drive for render/scratch drive would be better than having that along with your system drive, since physically they are still the same hardware.

Plus, if your have separate drives, if either fail, you wouldn't be left with nothing. I know some uses raptor drives for render/scratch disks, which increases their performances especially video.

Would be interested to hear what others say as well on this issue :)

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

In Jan. or Feb. I plan to order a 1TB hard drive to throw in my Mac Pro. Both Hitachi and Samsung have new 1TB drives, they can be seen on newegg.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I say go for the separate internal drive as a scratch disk. You have two slots for HDDs in your G5 case so you can get another 500GB drive cheap, like for $175 and stick that in the second slot.