good deal on the early 2008 macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaygoodbye, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

... We can't really say how good a deal it is without a monetary value to go by.

2. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

oh he wants 850 for it. sorry forgot to include that

3. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Feels like a good buy, but try to get him down to 800$ or 750$.

4. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

I was either gonna buy an imac or this macbook and a mac mini. Which would you guys recommend to do?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its $999 brand new, and you can probably get it refurbished from Apple (like new) for $850 with Apples 1 year refurbished warranty.

I would try to knock him down to $750

Also you should remember this particular laptop serious has had loads of issues, so check for ANY problems however small before handing over any cash. The plastic out casing is notorious for cracking so check for that, and also it sometimes has this white goo on it where it wasnt manufactured correctly.

As its craislist remember to give a friend/family member the cash, and when your satisfied the product meets your requirments then call them to bring the money over to you.

6. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

this one is 2.4 ghz and the 999 one is 2.0 ghz

7. JonMcDonald macrumors member

yeah but the .4 doesn't make a huge difference, and actually the new one has better graphics. I don't know why you would try to side with the seller though, you should be trying to get as low a price as you can.

8. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

When I read your post, you make the whitebook sound like trash.
    True, some (not everybody) had an issue with the palmguard cracking, but that doesn't mean the whole plastic series had "loads" of issue.
    For the white goo, are you referring to thermal compound? Apple tends to put way to much on the CPUs on all their Macs as far as I know.
    Or do you mean that white grease you sometimes find on RAM sticks? I heard that this stuff is used so it's easier to put the module in the socket. Again, some Appledude could have put too much of it there.

@ironspider
    Do you know if the seller only has the 1year Applecare or did he purchase 3years?

9. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

he didnt mention any extra apple care so id asume it only the standard one year