Good deal on the LaCie 2Big TB Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmw16, Dec 7, 2012.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

they also have good prices on refurbed LaCie Quadra 2T or 3T drives. Those have FW 800 for folks with older Macs, thunderbolt display, or thunderbolt to FW adapter.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

That's a very good deal and I bought one. I suggest to grab one if your in the market. They don't make better stuff.

My only concern is of course if they swapped out the drives for weaker ones, and labeled it 'refurbished'. I can't stand some of those green 3.5" drives and if they did this it's bait and switch. But of course this is very easy to determine as these are swappable, so your covered. Just a call to Lacie can verify internal parts.

But if they are using fast 7200 drives this is a great deal.

I have a 3TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive that is pretty bad. It is formatted for Windows but has Mac drivers. Thing is, it's dog slow, cheap plastic garbage, and I'm pretty sure it's corrupting data. Designed to fail.

The Lacie on the other hand is very good. I have the Little Big disk Thunderbolt and it's a really good drive (sans noisy fan).

4. peixesloucos macrumors member

peixesloucos

Is the Little Big disk spinning too loud?
    I have that problem with G-Technology G-DRIVE.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

No it's the fan. The little fan is really loud. It's not a fault of the drive.

I swapped the internal 5200 drives for SSDs, disconnected the fan and took off the blue LED, plastic in the front for ventilation (I put a peice of tape over the bright LED). It runs cool now, cooler than it did originally. If you take off the that blue plastic thing it really helps with ventilation, and it doesn't look bad or anything; the blue thing is annoying anyway.

Fans are always noisy. You CAN replace them with other fans as they are generic, but it's a gamble. Sometimes this helps, but sometimes it's best if you can just disconnect them and make mods. I saw a guy who disconnected the Little Big disk fan and then put a huge fan outside of it to cool it :D . Not something I want to do.

Anyway, the fans are not to be shunned as the really cheap drives don't have them as they don't even care if their drives fail. They figure the failure/return rate < cost savings + huge profit. Seagate, WD, and the other crooks think this way. Avoid them.

Your G-tech drive is a great drive. Just try to mod the fan issue if you can do it whiteout screwing something up. I have a number of those G-tech drives and they are built EXTREMELY well. Even the little drives have extensive heat sinks. The problem modding those is that they have so many screws and parts you have to have an electric screwdriver. :D

6. peixesloucos macrumors member

peixesloucos

Thank you for the reply. Actually my G-Drive is fan-less. The spinning is connected to the 7200 rpm drive I suppose. I guess I will get used to it. The vibration I experience also is a result of the wood working table where the drive is placed.

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I almost purchased this but I spoke to a rep online and he says it only comes with 90 days of warranty. Not worth the risk for me.

8. mawyatt macrumors member

I got the 2Big 4TB version back in Oct. Hooked it up with Apple TB cable and setup as RAID 0. No problems and the drive is fast. I went to order another for backup and MacMall was out, just saw they were back in stock and ordered another on a couple days ago. $300 seems like a fare price for 4TB Thunderbolt , $600 was too expensive IMO, so went with the refurb ones.

In RAID 0 configuration this drive is near the speed of the internal SSD on my MBPr. BTW the drives are Segate 7200rpm Baracudda types.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I just got one of these in the mail and set it up.

Frankly, i'm a bit shocked at how fast this is. I've never seen a rotary go like this.

For instance, I plugged my 500GB LaCie Little Big disk Thunderbolt SSD drive in, did a straight copy, and it was about 30 minutes for 500GB. That is very good.

I'm pretty happy.

It doesn't make any noise. Also, if the stand bugs you (I like it) you can easily just take it off for stability. I even did this with the Little big disk, then put it back on after a while.

It does look like it's a refurb from LaCie and not someone else. You can sort of tell by the way it's packaged. 'Refurb' often means a lot of things other than refurbished. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the OP!