Good deal or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mwhities, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Just found a used (May 2011) 13" MBA on craigs list... I'm interested in getting it but, I'm not to sure.

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/sys/2581259480.html

I've txted with the guy a few times and he stated he bought it from BestBuy in May and that there is currently no AC on it. I asked if it was available to get it added and he said yes.

Besides looking at it and seeing anything wrong with it, would this be a good buy? He's unsure of the price he'd go down to. I see Apple refurb has the exact samething but, a 2010 model for 999.

I'm on a budget and will be selling a Dell laptop and would have to add 300-400 to it get it. I'm unable to save up and the Dell laptop is sold as soon as I format it and reinstall (this week). So I need a replacement soon.

Opinions on what you might do?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I wouldn't pay $800, if he's willing to wiggle on the price + the Air is in good condition, I'd probably do it

3. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Also keep in mind that he's selling the model with a Core 2 Duo processor. The 2011 models were introduced in July 2011. (Backlit keyboard, Core i5).

800 bucks for a Core 2 Duo machine... hmmm...

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

$650, possibly $700 but no more than that. Core 2 Duo, even if it was a last generation model is just too old.

5. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I have the 13" 2010 model as a spare and it's perfect useable. For daily use, I use the 11" 2011 model because of it's small footprint, light weight etc. But I have chosen to sell my 13" MBP 2010 over the 13" MBA, because it is so much snappier at everything.

Bottom line, yes, the 2011 is better, but it will be more expensive and the 2010 model might have the C2D processor, but its a much more mature chip and it works great. $800 is a lot for a laptop for most people, but the 128Gb 13" 2011 base model costs 500 more (and has double the amount of memory).
    Since you don't seem to have that money, I think it might be a good deal for you.

If you are buying it, look good at it for scratches, dents, bends and other obvious signs of hard use, play a bit with it to see everything working (do a bit of safari, test some of the programs etc) and take the plunge. Buying a second hand has it's risks, it's that simple.
    Ow, yeah, if it isn't installed ask if coco of iStat Pro can be installed and look at the amount of cycle's the battery has had. It should be able to take 500 cycle's but I think it has had quite some use if it has been through more that 150-200 cycles.

6. mwhities thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I decided to not go with this MBA and use the money I get to pay off a few outstanding bills. I know, trying to be responsible stinks.

I was assigned a new laptop from work so, I'll be using it for work and here at the house. Unless I can find an inexpensive MacMini, I may just wait until I can save up enough for a new 13"MBA.

Thanks again.