Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Go check it out in person. If it's just missing a couple keys, then yeah, that's a great deal.

Grab it and take it to the Apple Store. They'll happily install an extra key or two on your keyboard for you - they have lots of spares laying around. And if for some reason they won't do it or you notice a bigger flaw, you can just return it to BBY.

Good luck!

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%2...6126928&skuId=5430514&dnmId=o_200001329173438

Damaged, Open Box, Missing Keys. I have a MBPc right now unibody, are they the same keys? Condition is fair. I prob could talk them down possibly some more money. Or use my Discover and get 5% cash back.

Also, can I get apple care for this?

OP, buy the laptop, take it to Apple Store. If they do not have spare keys, then check it into the genius bar with them and have them do a top case replacement on the computer. They don't need to know the history. Just tell them to verify warranty and ask to have it fixed. People are getting their displays, top cases replaced for issues like this.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
About three weeks ago, I bought a Best Buy open box 13 inch retina 128 GB for $1248 from $1699, 27% off. It was in excellent condition and was guaranteed to have a 30 day return policy.

Today, I bought an open box excellent condition Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for $21 from $29 after negotiating an additional 10% off. I mentioned that they were doing it earlier in the month, and the manager ok'd it. The manager seemed to indicate that they're under pressure to clear out open box inventory, so while the salesman initially said no, the manager overheard my request and approved another 10% with no hesitation.

Confirm the return policy before you buy it. If you can return it, see if Apple will fix the MacBook. If Apple won't fix it, return it.

Last edited:

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I would confirm any sort of return policy before buying. If they do provide it then I would pull the trigger and then try your keys and transfer it, if that dosen't work check on eBay and see if they're selling it for cheap. I'm pretty sure iFix's website has the parts. If its under 50ish I'd say it's a deal considering what you got the computer for plus you could replace it all with new keys rather than having the keys that hundreds of people have touched.

Also see if Apple would still cover it for the year warranty and if they do consider getting AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.