Good deal, or too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pumpkin King, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Pumpkin King macrumors member

I'm looking for a macbook pro and although I wanted to wait till January, I can make an argument that I need it sooner rather than later.

I found this on Craigslist:

15.4" non-glossy MBP
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVDฑR DL/DVDฑRW/CD-RW)
    Apple USB Modem
    MagSafe Airline Adapter
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    iWork '06 preinstalled
    Accessory Kit
    Apple Care Warranty

$1900

Does that sound ok? It notes that it's new and never opened. I always hate that. I'd feel more comfortable if they said they used it. Who would buy a computer and not open it the instant they get home?? :confused:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

just contact them and ask if they would meet you at a coffee shop or somewhere. Say you will need to open it and check it out.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. If you cant meet the guy face to face and test the laptop for yourself then do not buy it.

4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The standard online buying rules apply:

* Don't ever pay first, esp. if the seller demands a money order or money transfer.
    * If it's unopened it may have been stolen or is a re-sealed box of rocks. Ask to actually see it.
    * Arrange to meet in a public place to make an exchange, if anything seems fishy decline the transaction.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

fully loaded mac's (e.g. 4 GB RAM) for such a low price are usually scam. you see these offers quite often.

if you want to give it a try follow the above recommendations and bring at least one strong friend with you to the transaction.

after reading it again: they just listed the full max specs from apples page including even the silly usb modem. this is a scam. your only hope would be that somebody bought it on a companies credit card, stole it and sells it now. most likely they sell you a empty box or rob you when you bring cash.

6. iSwitchd macrumors member

I have found a lot of Craigslist ads to be bogus.

They'll tell you they just moved out of the country, but you can put the money in escrow or whatever until you receive the item and inspect it.

SCAM!

Do not send anyone any money. If you do, I will guarantee you that you will never see a product.

Meet face to face, inspect, power up, ask questions.

Good luck!

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

don't take the money with you. Meet someplace public and close to a bank. That way if it is real you can take them to the bank and withdraw the money. Do the deal in site of cameras as well just to be on the safe side.