Good deal? Please advise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ChemGolf, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ChemGolf macrumors newbie

I have the chance to buy a brand-new MacBook Air, rev C (2.13 GHz/2 GB RAM/128 GB SSD) from an Apple authorised dealer. Originally sealed retail packaging, standard one year Apple warranty. Price: 20% off the Apple online store price.

Do you think this is a good deal given the chance that an upgraded version might come out soonish? I could wait a few more weeks but need to buy beginning/mid October the latest.

Thanks for any advice!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wait if you can wait, but there are no rumours surrounding an upcoming MBA update. Which dealer do you mean by the way?

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

personally I wouldn't buy an MBA even with the discount as it hasn't been updated for so long - but if you really want it for the form factor and nothing else will do i guess this is the cheapest place you can get it

4. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I need it mainly for mobility reasons, will only do iWork, browsing the Internet and eMail, nothing else. No bootcamp, virtual machine or video editing. For that the rev C model is sufficiant I guess? Not so important for me to have the latest hardware or for how long it hasn't been upgraded.

@spinnerlys: it's a local dealer in my hometown in Germany, an Apple Premium reseller. A friend of mine is working there making me this personal offer which expires next week. So I need to decide whether to buy now or wait.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you live near DD or B, you might take a look at CyberPort, they offer Macs for up to 200 € less, they even have an online store.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

It's an alright deal I suppose! Better than getting it at full MSRP. I would probably wait since you are not getting it direct from apple. Exchanging for a new machine if one comes out would be a hassle.

7. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    buy it my friend.

if there's nothing by mid-Oct, then the earliest will be Jan-Feb '11.
    (you could always ask what is the time window for upgrades in the event of a new model release)

8. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Cheaper than the refurb($1550) so I guess its a pretty good deal. I doubt there is a new one coming out before january so if you can wait, wait if not buy one and move on.

9. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all advice! Just a wee update: finally I did it! Just got it today, and I'm happy! :D

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Finally, now that someone finally took the leap without thought of an update... it's certain to be updated this Tuesday! YAH!!! Thank you.:D:D:D

Congrats on the new MBA.

11. Zband macrumors newbie

Congratulations on your purchase. I too just purchased one from the apple refurbished store. Overall I am pretty pleased with it - it runs cool, and is plenty fast for what I am using it for.

Ironically, I was concerned about the 2GB RAM. I like to have about 5 widgets that are web clipping open at a time. I've hit that 2GB ceiling; and the MBA pages out, but with the SSD I don't "feel" a slow down. Which begs the question, for light duty stuff does the concept of paging out really matter in a world that is going SSD?

12. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes I was quite surprised to see that processor speed or RAM seems not to be the bottleneck in terms of speed: it's clearly the SSD. I feel that my MBA is at least as fast as my iMac - maybe faster. I'm really pleased.

@Scottsdale: I make the bet! :D But if indeed I should lose I'll be OK - the current model perfectly fits my needs and on the new one I would certainly spend 500 € more...

13. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Consider why they're selling it at that price.