Good deal? Please advise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ChemGolf, Sep 12, 2010.

  1. ChemGolf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #1
    I have the chance to buy a brand-new MacBook Air, rev C (2.13 GHz/2 GB RAM/128 GB SSD) from an Apple authorised dealer. Originally sealed retail packaging, standard one year Apple warranty. Price: 20% off the Apple online store price.

    Do you think this is a good deal given the chance that an upgraded version might come out soonish? I could wait a few more weeks but need to buy beginning/mid October the latest.

    Thanks for any advice!
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    Wait if you can wait, but there are no rumours surrounding an upcoming MBA update. Which dealer do you mean by the way?
     
  3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #3
    personally I wouldn't buy an MBA even with the discount as it hasn't been updated for so long - but if you really want it for the form factor and nothing else will do i guess this is the cheapest place you can get it
     
  4. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #4
    Yes, I need it mainly for mobility reasons, will only do iWork, browsing the Internet and eMail, nothing else. No bootcamp, virtual machine or video editing. For that the rev C model is sufficiant I guess? Not so important for me to have the latest hardware or for how long it hasn't been upgraded.

    @spinnerlys: it's a local dealer in my hometown in Germany, an Apple Premium reseller. A friend of mine is working there making me this personal offer which expires next week. So I need to decide whether to buy now or wait.
     
  5. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #5
    If you live near DD or B, you might take a look at CyberPort, they offer Macs for up to 200 € less, they even have an online store.
     
  6. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #6
    It's an alright deal I suppose! Better than getting it at full MSRP. I would probably wait since you are not getting it direct from apple. Exchanging for a new machine if one comes out would be a hassle.
     
  7. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #7
    buy it my friend.

    if there's nothing by mid-Oct, then the earliest will be Jan-Feb '11.
    (you could always ask what is the time window for upgrades in the event of a new model release)
     
  8. cleric macrumors 6502a

    cleric

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #8
    Cheaper than the refurb($1550) so I guess its a pretty good deal. I doubt there is a new one coming out before january so if you can wait, wait if not buy one and move on.
     
  9. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #9
    Thanks for all advice! Just a wee update: finally I did it! Just got it today, and I'm happy! :D
     
  10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #10
    Finally, now that someone finally took the leap without thought of an update... it's certain to be updated this Tuesday! YAH!!! Thank you.:D:D:D

    Congrats on the new MBA.
     
  11. Zband macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2003
    #11
    Congratulations on your purchase. I too just purchased one from the apple refurbished store. Overall I am pretty pleased with it - it runs cool, and is plenty fast for what I am using it for.

    Ironically, I was concerned about the 2GB RAM. I like to have about 5 widgets that are web clipping open at a time. I've hit that 2GB ceiling; and the MBA pages out, but with the SSD I don't "feel" a slow down. Which begs the question, for light duty stuff does the concept of paging out really matter in a world that is going SSD?
     
  12. ChemGolf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Location:
    Germany
    #12
    Thanks. Yes I was quite surprised to see that processor speed or RAM seems not to be the bottleneck in terms of speed: it's clearly the SSD. I feel that my MBA is at least as fast as my iMac - maybe faster. I'm really pleased.

    @Scottsdale: I make the bet! :D But if indeed I should lose I'll be OK - the current model perfectly fits my needs and on the new one I would certainly spend 500 € more...
     
  13. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

    Abyssgh0st

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location:
    Norman, OK
    #13
    Consider why they're selling it at that price.
     

Share This Page