Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonCManley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Ohio
I've done my math and this would appear to be a tremendous deal. Am I missing a potential gotcha?

It's basically a maxed out 21.5 2019 iMac. Except for 2TB SSD, what else could be thrown in this thing? $2679.00 Apple Refurb seems like a great deal..?

I would be replacing my late-2013 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 8GB of Ram that runs off of a Samsung T3 as the boot drive.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
If you need the form factor of 21.5 and don't mind a slightly less-spec 27", you should go for it. Obviously, part of the cost here is the SSD but unsure if 512 would be a substantial savings or even doable. Sometimes we have to deal with what we got on the refurb store as not every configuration comes out.

JasonCManley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Ohio
If you need the form factor of 21.5 and don't mind a slightly less-spec 27", you should go for it. Obviously, part of the cost here is the SSD but unsure if 512 would be a substantial savings or even doable. Sometimes we have to deal with what we got on the refurb store as not every configuration comes out.

I wanted to say thank you for responding to my post. I decided to pull the trigger on this. While the idea of having a 27" 5K iMac has always been tantalizing to me, in reality, it just won't work for my desk. I have this beautiful solid wood roll top desk that once belonged to my father-in-law. My current 2013 21.5 iMac sits literally about 12 or so inches from the edge. So, not a ton of room.

Going from a 1080 display to a 4K should be enough of a night/day difference for my eyeballs that I'll be happy, regardless.

I have to say...this seems like an awesome deal. Even with my corporate discount, which does include Apple as a corporate partner, this exact configuration I just purchased would be $2960.00 Brand New from Apple; that's excluding tax. So, the nearly $300 off for a maxed out 21.5'er... I should be good for 5-6 years. Certainly the last Intel Mac I'll ever buy...

Best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.