Good discussion board?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Ja Di ksw, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to set up a discussion board for a class I'm in. Does anyone know of a good (free) website where you can create your own message boards? It doesn't need to be too fancy, just something simple to use with all the normal features (different forums, anyone can create a thread, e-mail notifications that can be turned on or off, etc).
    Thanks for the help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Google or Yahoo groups sound like they'd work for you.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks for the suggestion, but don't you have to use a yahoo or google account with those? Most people here (Austria) don't have that type of e-mail account, I would need a board that can use any e-mail.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You can subscribe to the groups that Miles01110 listed. In other words, you send an invite to people you intend to be part of the group, and they can sign up and have their current email added to the list of addresses who receive messages.

I am on a couple Yahoo groups, but utilize my hotmail account to participate in them.

For a Forum style board (like Macrumors), I would suggest PHPBB (properly patched), but you will need your own hosting provider to install the board onto.

HTH