Good discussion of the iP4 reception "issue" on this weeks TWIT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chupa Chupa, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you don't normally listen to TWIT, this weeks ep. has a good discussion of the iPhone reception issue w/ a real live career antenna engineer. They do a great job explaining why some iPhone owners have the "prob" and some don't & why it's really an ATT issue. (Funny that Leo tried to demonstrate the issue, swearing it's been afflicted w/ it and the bars did nothing when he did the death grip). They even try to explain why Apple exacerbated and escalated the issue to the level it did when it could have nipped it immediately. Answer - because few companies seize that opportunity.

Anyway probably one of the best eps in a long time -- I actually listened to the entire show, which is a rarity. D/l at Twit.tv or iTunes.

2. Cubs08 macrumors member

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The first segment on another show that's on the TWiT network, This Week in Computer Hardware, had Anand from anandtech.com on to explain their findings and really put it out there what it meant.

I'd say listen to this segment first and then listen to TWiT with the antenna engineer. You'll understand it much better and maybe, just maybe, you'll stop bitching about it.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Finally a voice for common sense!

Always listen to TWiT, haven't listened to last nights episode yet.

Here's a link for those who are unable to Google:
    http://twit.tv/twit

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes, finally a voice for common sense with Leo, who has been getting closer and closer to being a loud ******* who doesn't care for other people's opinions.

6. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm watching this interview right now and it's pretty good. It actually makes sense and i've always believed that Bars on the cell phone were pretty useless.

I've had times where on my previous iPhones,Current ones and some of my android devices,etc where i've had no bars and were able to make calls and use 3G with no problems.

I think the bars are a placebo :)

7. jonstatt macrumors member

What's AT&T got to do with it when it happens in the UK on all the networks here? If all the networks are having the issue then it doesn't point to the network unless we are saying they are all rubbish.

And once again, the focus is on gripping the phone which does apply to all phones due to shielding. It does not focus on the shorting of the two antennas due to the conductance of human skin and the exposed antennas.

To make the problem happen all you need is one finger pressing gently on the bridge between the two antennas. And it only happens with some humans (due to different skin conductance) and in some areas (where signal is not strong to start with)

This death grip of course will cause the signal to drop because you are shielding the signal with your body. This is neccessary with a 3G / 3GS to get a signal drop. But it is NOT neccessary with an iPhone 4...just one finger will do it.

I can drop a call with one finger...starting with 2 bars of signal. You can't say I am adversely shielding the phone signal with just one finger!!

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yes, both shows were very informative.

Anand's talk was especially enlightening, and goes into a little more detail than his article. Those who keep quoting Anand's article as proof that "there is no problem" should listen to the podcast.

He basically says that there is a problem, and the shorting issue is a real problem that shouldn't be happening, but that the iPhone 4 also does get a stronger signal than any iPhone before it. So really, both sides are right. It gets better signal, but it's also much easier to kill the signal with a single finger.