Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catdog12349

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Yes i know there is a similar thread but mine has a slightly different point.

I really like the thunderbolt display and i think its a good idea to use thunderbolt rather than converting to mini display or something else for a different type of display. But the thunderbolt display is very expensive.

Is there any display like the thunderbolt display except not made by apple and not thunderbolt?

Or are there any other companies that are going to make their own thunderbolt display?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
You have to keep in mind that the Thunderbolt display is actually cheap(er) in comparison to other 27" IPS displays. Dell's U2711 is normally $100 more, but it does go on sale a lot, so it may vary.

If all you want is a monitor, and don't really care about color and viewing angles and such, then any monitor in your price range will suffice. But the Thunderbolt is the only one that will really match and compliment the MBA well.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
You aren't going to find a display with the same capabilities just now unfortunately. It's a pity apple won't sell a 23" equipped the same way.

The dell can be found for the same price or less than the display and has a lot more inputs and other features, but lacks the dock.

There are a plethora of great 23" monitors that aren't that expensive, but you will have to find another charging solution - though many can act as a usb hub - that would make three cables, power, usb, charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.