Good Doom Games for Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Irishman, May 11, 2016.

1. Irishman macrumors 68030

Now that early pre-streaming of early buyers of the new Doom game is revealing a game that makes you want to replay Doom, what are some good OS X-compatible Doom games available for download?

(Other than the obvious Doom 3 on the MAS).

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

While it's not Doom, I really like "Prey". It's very Doom-like and I have played the heck out of it.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You could probably play the original Doom games through DOSbox.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Or one of the source ports. I'm sure there are a couple floating around for OSX.

5. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

The Doomsday Engine has a mac build, as does ZDoom and GZDoom.
    I used to use Doomsday to play DOOM and DOOM II a few years ago now.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

ZDoom would be my personal choice. As neat as the Doomday engine mods are, classic Doom is always best experienced in its classic style.

I'd probably recommend the Doom64 conversion mod, since I've always considered it the best of the series. Problem is, I don't think it's available for OSX.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can play Doom 64 using OpenEmu on OS X.

8. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

Some years ago, I recall someone saying that Bethesda hates Apple. Hates Apple with the white hot passion of a thousand suns. Hates Apple so much that they will never bring a Bethesda game to OS X (and so I should give up my hope against hope that OS X will see a version of Doom 2016). This certainly gets noticed on Reddit. https://www.reddit.c..._your_games_on/ And, yes, I know that ESO exists, but's technically not a Bethesda game, it's a Zenimax game https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/62985/why-now-mac

Now, I know it's not the newest Doom hotness, but, maybe it's a sign that this white hot passion of hatred is subsuming. I present to you, ladies and genitals, Fallout Shelter, for iOS: http://www.geek.com/...thesda-1625509/

Thoughts?

9. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

It's probably more a case of "hating" the Mac than Apple. I wouldn't see the point in supporting OSX with stuff like Fallout and Skyrim, they have enough trouble with bugs and stuff just maintaining the Windows builds, haha. If Macs had market dominance for gaming and decent standard graphics libraries and so on I bet they'd warm to Macs too.

They can't really have issues with iOS in the same way as its where you want your mobile games to be if you intend to make any money from them..

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, we got Rage.

--Eric

11. Janichsan, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016

Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

…which already was pretty much done being ported by the time Bethesda acquired id. There probably were contractual obligations that had to be fulfilled. We still never got the Scorchers DLC, though.

12. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know why Apple doesn't have a Mac gaming evangelist.

13. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Too busy putting everything into phones, ipods and pads I would think.

Oh and updating OSX at every turn when it really does not need it.

14. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

I would do it. Be like Leander Kahney was in the old days (and yes, I know he wasn't a gaming evangelist, but he did get the word out to people about the Mac, in a grassroots social media before social media way).

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Mac gaming is a niche within a niche...

Or has it become a niche as Apple hates putting decent grfx cards in Macs and provide good drivers?

I wonder if Metal will do anything for Mac gaming. I suppose we can assume many iOS-games ported to the Mac eventually.
    But no high-profile native games, I'm afraid.

16. Irishman thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't understand. We get high-profile native games now. Are you suggesting that will cease?

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

We get high-profile native OpenGL based games. Usually a port from Windows. I'm very glad we have these.

The question is: will the game-developers actually use Metal instead of OpenGL. I'm pretty sure current iOS games based on Metal could pretty easily be ported over to OS X, also using Metal, but current Windows games...? Might be too difficult and time-consuming to do.
    We'll see.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The biggest shame is that Apple isn't providing any Vulkan support to OSX whatsoever. The reason being is because I've heard that DX12 and Vulkan are quite a lot alike, being both based upon Mantle, and can be ported between each other fairly easily.

If that's true, it'll end up being a nice boon for Linux gaming, but won't do much for Apple.

19. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Unless Apple significantly updates OpenGL and/or Metal, this will indeed cease. More and more games rely on features that neither the current version of Metal nor Apple's sorry excuse for an OpenGL implementation do offer.

20. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup, I have looking towards a power PC gaming rig myself, Apple really are not interested in supporting the gaming community on their desktops and or laptops, not enough dollar in it I suppose and the PC market already has the market, as the song says - Sad but True :(

21. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

In related news: Feral just today mentioned on Facebook that they cannot port F1 2015 for Mac due to "complications with the OS". It doesn't take a genius to figure out what these complications were.