Good Driver for 8600M GT 256? (2007 MBP 2.4 ghz)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GreenFrog, Nov 23, 2008.

1. GreenFrog macrumors member

COD 4 runs fine on my MBP, but the new COD 5 is very laggy even though they pretty much run on the same system.

Are there any good graphics drivers from laptopvideo2go that have worked well for you guys?

Currently, I'm using the 176.37, and it's slightly better, but I feel I can do better.

Thanks.

2. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

I tried running the installer but it says "The Setup program could not locate and drivers associated with your card. Setup will now exit."

Edit: Did you give me links to desktop graphics card drivers? I'm using macbook pro and i've never seen nvidia actually have driver updates for laptop VGA cards. I was expecting something from laptopvideo2go.

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Why don't you try Windows update instead?

Most of the time, windows update will find the latest drivers for you.

4. Catch Them macrumors regular

you will have to uninstall the ones you have now first.

and itd help with what OS your running and if your getting the correct driver

not for graphics drivers

5. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I left out some key info. I'm running Windows XP 32-bit SP3.

The current driver im using from laptopvideo2go is 176.37 which seems to be fine, but CoD 5 is noticeably laggy with this, even when CoD 4 runs fine (which doesn't make sense since they're both running on the same engine).

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Are you sure? Mmm... I've changed the Wifi card in my MSI wind, and Windows update got me the latest driver for it, as well as the ethernet one. So what gives?

7. Catch Them macrumors regular

maybe then? but in all my years of installing and upgrading and changing hardware, the only thing that gets me updates is the "new hardware device manager", where it browses a adatabase for new drivers.
    that might be what that is?
    And depending on the device...it coul dbe easier for plug and play and the device itself loads it firmware/driver instantaneously and the OS reads off that.

OP - basically you will want to remove the old drivers first, reboot, then install the newest ones using the Windows XP (32-bit) driver.

you can try it manually as well:

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Just one question though....

Does Bootcamp finds the latest drivers and inform you about them? It seems strange it allows us to use outdated drivers when newer ones are around.

9. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

No, it looks only for the ones that Apple has currently made, which is 16x.xx (not too sure on the exact number) I believe.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm using the stock drivers that came with Boot Camp 2.1. My CoD5 runs perfectly, just like CoD4.

11. Catch Them macrumors regular

Depends on the device.

if its plug and play the device can work no problem with its onboard driver set.

windows update generally gives JUST Microsoft and Windows related updates only (security packs,service packs, frameworks, etc); devices and drivers for mice, keyboards, video cards, sound cards, are those of the MANUFACTURE, not Windows or Windows Update.

So what will usually happen if you install a video card for example, it will most likely work, but at really low resolution and low speed, because there isnt a driver forit to push it to its full abilities.

windows wouldnt know the difference where to get the driver from, since manufactures dont push them through windows update or anything like that, so it becomes a manual search for those or what coems with the device itself (Driver CD, etc).

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

But like I said, it found the latest Dell 1505 wireless card and ethernet drivers for my MSI Wind though.:confused:

13. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

What are your settings? What framerates do you get?

I put the exact same settings I use for CoD4 for CoD5 and COD5 is significantly laggier, whereas COD4 is smooth and fast.

It's killing me, literally, in the game lol.. a LOT.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have 1440x900, Trilinear filtering, Normal for Texture... something and something.. forgot what its called.

Shadows are on, bullet impacts are on also.

I'm receiving 40 fps outdoors, 60 fps indoors, 30 fps during firefights.

15. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

Could it be due to the fact that you're running SP1 and XP 64 bit?

Im running XP 32 bit SP 3.

also, how do you get the framerates to show on CoD5? I turned the command on through the console, but numbers don't actually show.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm using XP Pro SP3 AND Vista x64 SP1. (have both installed. One for work use/connected to domain, other is my own windows)

And I'm using FRAPS to get the FPS. I know FRAPS steals some FPS also when activated.