GOOD DVD ripper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DiSFLyLaTiNa, Feb 15, 2009.

1. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

I want a DVD ripper. I'm using MacTheRipper right now and I really don't like it!!! it can't do anything that I want it to do!
    my boyfriend has DVD FAB for his PC and I want something that's like that. I'm okay with spending money it, I'm not looking for a free DVD ripper.

is iSkySoft any good?

ahh! it's getting so frustrating and I almost want to set up windows through bootcamp and just get DVD FAB!!!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

Mac the Ripper !!!

6. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Another vote for handbrake. Just bought my MacBook and already have a pretty good sized library...

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Handbrake and MacTheRipper (which the OP has said she already uses, but doesn't like) do different things.

MacTheRipper rips DVDs, Handbrake encodes them.

OP, you say MtR doesn't do what you want it to do. What exactly do you want it to do? Some us here may be familiar with DVD Fab, but if it's a Windows app, most won't. Myself included.

I've used MtR and Ripit to rip DVDs. I've also used Fairmount to mount DRM-riddled DVDs and "ripped" them by just dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to hard drive. These are apps that allow ripping.

However I do the rips, I use Handbrake to encode the rips for viewing on my Mac and iPhone - although Handbrake can encode directly from DVD, usually I rip first so I can encode multiple rips overnight or when I'm at work.

But a rip is just a rip - a copy of the DVD without DRM. All rippers will do this, so I'm not sure what you mean by MtR not doing what you want. Do you actually mean "encode"?

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well of course the other question for the OP- are you currently using the old freeware version of Mac the Ripper (2.6.6) or the current version (3.0 r14m)? It can handle far more than the freeware version.

9. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

macThe Ripper (MTR) rips the dvd to the hard drive removing region and copy restrictions. it will mot Ever turn a dvd into something you can watch on an :apple:TV or iPod.

For that, as many others have said, you need to get yourself Handbreak. It has lots of presets for iPod, iPhone, :apple:TV, PS3, X-Box 360 to name but a few. To rip and convert in one go (for the newer versions only) you need to have VLC installed to negate the rip using MTR step.

Hope it helps

10. DiSFLyLaTiNa thread starter macrumors regular

i have 2.6.6. mac the ripper.

I want it to be able to convert the movie to other formats such as ipod or psp.
    I want the file to be able to get small enough to fit on a DVD. some movies are bigger than 4.7GB! DVD FAB makes it so you can lose a little quality of the picture so the file becomes smaller. I will definitely try handbreak though. thanks guys!

and DVD FAB temporarily rips the movie to the dvd drive and when its done and you put the dvd in it burns it onto the DVD so i never have to put the movie on my computer. I would like it if it could do that. but it probably can't... because i've tried, there's so E: drive on here LOL..

and what's VLC, exactly?

edit: I just tried handbrake and it's amazing. this is exactly what i wanted from a dvd ripper and its free. you guys are awesome!!

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

12. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

HandBrake is the best Mac DVD ripper. I could not live without it! I use it all the time to get DVD's onto my iPod's.

13. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

VLC is an obscure name for the very best video player in the world! It plays almost any video file you throw at it. Also, other programs like Handbrake use it to 'unlock' DVDs so they can decode them properly.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

You can install it on Windows and Linux too!

Finally, I'd like to add my +1 for Handbrake. I don't watch many movies, but the couple of times I've wanted to copy a DVD to my iPod I've been really impressed with it.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Actually, with AppleTV (using Boxee) that isn't true. In fact, using MTR, you get a disk image that allows the Boxee-enabled ATV to play the DVD from the hard drive complete with all extra features.

15. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Handbrake is good for what you need it to do. I guess Mac the Ripper is best if your trying to make a copy of a DVD itself, not convert it for use on a device such as iPod, iPhone etc.

16. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I use MactheRipper to rip the DVD and get rid of protection, then Handbrake to encode. The two work hand-in-hand in my eye.

17. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

18. DiSFLyLaTiNa thread starter macrumors regular

i used handbrake but how do i know how large the file is? i want them to fit onto DVD's and i don't know how to make it so the file size can get smaller or how to even know how large the file is?

19. JasonA macrumors member

Toast Titanium is good for shrinking double layer DVDs to fit a regular DVD, and it can encode to other formats for iPod, etc. $90, well worth it for a lot of stuff that it can do.

20. DiSFLyLaTiNa thread starter macrumors regular

how does it shrink a double layer dvd? I have that program and that's what I've been using to burn my ripped movies. I just want to get these movies to fit onto a DVD. most of them are bigger than 4.7GB!

21. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you make sure the "Use Fit-to-DVD video compression" option is selected at the lower left of the Toast window and the disk selection beside the big red "record" button is set to DVD (as opposed to DVD-DL) a double layer disk's content will be automatically compressed to fit on a single layer disk.

Attached Files:

22. TheZA macrumors regular

Now that I primarily go to mp4, I use Handbrake most frequently. But for backing up a DVD to another DVD, there is the one and only Mac The Ripper (latest version, 14m, anxiously awaiting the new release). I've also used Ripit, which is good for getting it on you hard drive. DTOX to compress (to image). Used Fairmount on a couple of occasions. Typically burn with Simply Burns or simply Disk Utility. Never used Toast, and with the above, I see no need.

23. yzf888 macrumors newbie

I recommend ffmpegX that can rip dvd easily.