Good email services?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JHNguyen, Jan 3, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Hi,
    I just switched internet service providers and was wondering what email services you guys recommend? I'm hoping to get one that works well with my iphone like my old one. I tried gmail a couple months ago, but was having some problems with that and stuck to my ISP's email service.

Now, I could either use my current ISP's service (comcast) or sign up for yahoo or something like that. I'm considering .mac, but I'd basically only be using it for the email and it doesn't seem worth it.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd recommend Lavabit.com. Gmail is good, and I have two accounts there, but my Lavabit accounts have never gone 'down', and their spam filtering is very good.

Very reliable, you get a lot for a 'free' email account, and no 'fuss'. :)

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

4. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I have been using gmail for about a year, and with the iPhone since launch in the UK on November 9th. It works perfectly and never had any problems!!! :D

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm using gmail...

because of the size of my storage = 6.2 GB (for free) and the IMAP is immediately updating my email on my MacBook, Mac Pro & my iPhone. I've looked at Lavabit.com and found their services limiting and expensive in comparison to gmail and yahoo. :cool:

6. ordovice macrumors newbie

I'm using GMail here as well. Especially since the IMAP implementation, I can keep my home account and all my other accounts up to sync without major implementation headaches (and that includes my iPhone). Hopefully they'll get some sort of P-IMAP implemented on GMail in the future to make it really useful.

7. hilary56 macrumors newbie

iphone mail

I'm trying to figure out why when i get mail on my desktop,the sender always gets a message back saying that .mac did not go thru. But i actually do get the messages. I have comcast on my desktop I dont get it? :confused:

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

GMAIL! ... i keep finding new things that make it better and better... (especially compared to yahoo, which i used to be on...)

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hilary56, sometimes...

the receiver doesn't have the person on their email address book. Just put their email address in your address book. Hope this helps. :cool:

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm another Gmail user and have been using it without problems since it became available in 2004. Since they activated IMAP it's been wonderful using it on the iPhone. It's great having it.

11. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Gmail is the way to go. It has IMAP and tons of storage space. It also doesn't attach ads onto the bottom of your emails like some email services *cough* yahoo *cough* I've been using it for about 2 years and have about 6000 emails stored on the server and have PLENTY of space left and never have to delete messages and there is never any spam in my inbox, gmails spam filters catch it all.

12. Aries326 macrumors 6502

I use gmail. It's the best service by far - for me at least. Forget hotmail. You can't even get on hotmail with the iPhone or other programs like Thunderbird.

13. palmerized macrumors regular

I've tried a bunch -- even my own domain names via my host -- I still come back to Gmail. Working on multiple machines at home and work, it's the best solution I think. I will use Mail.app or Thunderbird to make a backup/local copy, but typically just use the web-based service.

It's pretty reliable and has good features. I also forward about 6 email accounts to it as it's Spam filter is one of the best. You can also set up Gmail to send from your POP accounts. So, when sending a message from Gmail, I can have it show as from my personal domain account.

I've also grown accustom to the Label approach to sorting emails. Typically you move a message to a folder it belongs to, say for a certain project. But, say the message belongs not to one project, but many, and from a certain person. You can apply as many labels as you want to the message, then sort and view by label. It's awesome.

Another thing, the storage keeps growing and growing. It also integrates well with Google's other apps like Calendar and Documents. There are also a number of cool 3rd party notification programs for Gmail.

Oh... it's free. ;-)

14. jsgreen macrumors 6502

FastMail

Fastmail (enhanced user level) offers a rock-solid imap service (with tons of features) along with file storage that is webdav capable (so you can mount it as a drive).

Enhanced acount for $39.95 / year gets you 6Gb email storage plus 2Gb file storage. You can also point your own domains at your FastMail account (both email NS records and web site "A" records).

Link to fastmail: http://www.fastimap.com/mail/?STKI=479186

Full Disclosure: Other than being a (really happy) FastMail customer, I'm not affiliated with Fastmail. If you sign up an account using the above link, I do get some sort of small referral credit :)

jsg

15. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

16. slicedbread macrumors regular

i would recommend both fastmail or gmail. both are great over imap.

17. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Me too...but I use Google Apps for Your Domain so I can use my own email@mydomain.com with the GMail system. Best of both worlds!

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I use gmail exclusively, and I would strongly suggest taking the time to figure out what the problem is you're having with the service, and fixing it. It's definitely worth the trouble.