Good Entry Level Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 21, 2011.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I made another post about getting into the Mac world after getting hooked on my iPhone and iPad. I have decided on a slightly older Mini due to my budget. I found the following on CL for $200. Is this a good deal? Anything I should ask or look out for?

Thanks in advance!

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Don't do it. Stay away from the G4 models.

How do you plan to use your mini?

3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I agree. You shouldn't get a PPC Mini. Get an Intel Mini.

4. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Here is my original post

I realize inexpensive and :apple: don't really go together, but sadly I have student loans to pay haha.

5. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Definitely do try to get an Intel model if you can. The Intel models are much better and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is Intel only. Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will be coming out later this year.

If you buy now, an Intel model, with a clean install of Snow Leopard would be the way to go. Should try to get a model with at least 1GB of RAM, preferably 2GB.

Then in a few years you could sell the Mac Mini and buy another one second hand or possibly if you can afford it then a new one.

6. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I personally got in to Apple computers while they were at the height of G4 technology. I still love my G4s, but I have to admit, their practicality went way down. I was the king of procrastinating at upgrading technology, but only now on a MacBook am I awake to all I was missing on my G4s. I only use my 1.25ghz iMac as a home for my iPhone, some music, all my pictures, and a capable web browsing machine / file keeper.

If you want a Mac just to learn your way around the Mac, a light web browser, and a light document writing machine, that's just fine. There's a lot that just doesn't come out for PPC Macs anymore, and Mac OSX is the main thing. Games of any sort, and yes, even those flash-based Facebook games - are nothing short of pointless to try and tinker with, and working with media is tedious unless you grew up when personal computers weren't about speed.

Long story short, if you want a Mac Mini as a tinker-tool, PPC G4s are still my favorite budget Apple machines of all time. If you can possibly afford it, get the cheapest Intel you can find, and future-proof yourself - which may even save you some $$ compared to when you'll upgrade to Intel anyway.

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I will most likely just save up for a new(er) mini once my bonus checks start coming in. I love my toys and it's hard for me not to buy the best, within reason :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!