Good eReader for PDFs + Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MathBunny123, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Hello. I was THINKING of an eReader, so it'll be helpful if you help me out here.

I will be using it mainly for reading PDFs. I won't be reading books, but mostly PDFs. I was also wondering if it's possible reading offline Wikipedia articles.

What would be a good eReader for me? I'd say the budget would be 100$, is that reasonable?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. Alfuh macrumors regular

Looks like Kindle Fire HD is on sale for $124 currently, that could be a good bet and you get some good utility out of it's other functions.

The standard Kindle is only $69, but I don't think that will work for PDFs

The Nook HD also comes in at around the $120 mark. That comes with an SD card slot so you can load up tons of PDFs and downloaded articles to your heart's content.

Hope that helps

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The Kindle can read PDF's, though from the little I've read, it doesn't sound like you have any control over formatting. It's also a pretty small display to small detailed text/images may require lots of zooming in/out. At $69 though, you'll be hard pressed to find something cheaper.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you read mainly PDFs, then a 6 inch e-ink screen device isn't the best choice. I'd go with a tablet.

5. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone. :)

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The nexus 7 2013 works great in adobe reader. Just make sure you have force gpu rendering enabled in developer options. Adobe still hasn't enabled it yet for some dumb reason. I have emailed them about it several times. It makes the performance literally ten times better.