Good Everyday Backpack that can hold a MBP 15" and iPad 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rekhyt, Apr 15, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm off for a summer course in June and I need a good and big backpack (Big enough to store MBP 15", possibly iPad 2, books, general things like a waterbottle, notepads, ...). Usually I would use a suitcase + a laptop bag but in this case I'd prefer to consolidate everything into one big backpack. Holding a laptop bag would be a bit unwieldy and one more thing I would have to watch out for in case of (accidental) loss, especially because I would be travelling overseas for this course.

Can anyone suggest me a good backpack / your previous experiences with backpacks?

2. timmy67 macrumors newbie

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I have this backpack for my 13" MBP. I like that it has a separate sleeve inside the backpack for an iPad and that it also has a hidden cover that can be taken out easily to shield your backpack from rain.

Not sure how it would hold more than a couple books though, as the compartments aren't huge... but I easily hold my MBP, a few notebooks for lab and classes, as well as power cords, pens, pencils, headphones, etc. pretty well.

If you have a Microcenter nearby, you can head there and check the bag out... well, at least the Microcenter in my area carries the STM bags/backpacks, so YMMV. But maybe worth a try if you want to check them out firsthand?

4. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm... Interesting. I was looking at that InCase backpacks before (Since I have an InCase laptop bag and the build quality was quite nice as well.) but then I went on Amazon (One bag with a scathing review.). After that, I wasn't so sure about the quality of the bag and was quite concerned about it.

How is the quality of the case, and about the space for the waterbottle - is there any space within the bag at all, or is it as tight as it looks in the image?

Ah... alright. I was looking for more of a general purpose / daily backpack that I could use while studying at the course. (We're generally moving from place to place, so a small backpack wouldn't do.)

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

It's not a small backpack, it's just not a huge backpack... hmm, how to convey what that means more practically...

If you're looking to haul your giant textbooks to every class, then no... it's probably not big enough to do that. But looking inside my bag now (and remember, I have the 13" version not the 15", so the 15" version may well be roomier for your needs), I could comfortably fit a nice thick textbook, and maybe two binders if they were stacked opposite each other (or 4-5 spiral notebooks), and fit an iPad and my MBP without me feeling "Gee, that's pretty tight quarters, I hope my MBP and iPad don't get crushed in there."

Anyways, I think it's hard to buy certain things over the internet, and bags/backpacks are just one of those things for me. I've bought multiple bags and backpacks online only to find that they weren't quite what I was expecting, so if you do have a Microcenter nearby and if they carry STM bags, it might be worth checking out. Especially since my experiences are limited to the 13" version.

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Check out http://www.booqbags.com

I have one that has a dedicated padded laptop section and another slot that would work fine for an iPad. I use it to carry my HUGE 17" dell and my 13"MBP at the same time. It is also super comfortable even when carrying 25lbs of computers.

7. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah... alright then. :)

Still deliberating on these brands now:
    • STM Revolution Medium
    • InCase compact backpack
    • Victorinox Park

Thanks for all the replies. :)

8. Renverse macrumors member

9. dannyaml macrumors newbie

i highly recommend bbp industries backpack

http://www.bbpbags.com/industriesbackpack.html
    $89.95 USD

they also sell it on amazon.com incase you have gift certificates etc.

Several things why I like it:
    The padding on the back of the backpack is so soft they also include the same padding on the straps that makes it feel so much better on your back.

The padding on the inside is just as soft and protective I can fit my macbook pro 15", my ipad2, and a bluetooth apple keyboard inside the main compartment along with the necessary chargers.

The second compartment is a bit smaller with no padding but I can put my notebook/books and prephirals such as my magic mouse, external hdd.

There are 2 pockets on each side for water bottles and 2 zipper pockets in the front where i keep my pens / point-n-shoot camera for easy access as well as 2 small pockets on either side (i use it to keep change in there)

There is also a back pocket in the back where i keep extra cables.

It also comes with some optional accessories you can purchase to manipulate your backpack when you need to.

The roller cart will attach to the back of your backpack to turn it into a roller backpack.

You can purchase a DSLR paddy that fits in the laptop compartment. Usually when i turn my backpack into a camera bag I don't carry my macbook with me and I just move my ipad2 into the second compartment.

I've been a big backpack/messenger/bag in general shopper for many years going through thousands of posts and reviews. I use different bags for different occasions. Normally when I go traveling i'll take a north face backpack with me, however since your looking for good protection for 2 very valuable pieces of equipment I highly suggest bbp industries backpack.

a great feature of this backpack btw is the zippers tuck all they way down into the water bag. This makes it harder for someone to unzip your backpack while your not looking and steal your ipad!:apple: