Good Exchange Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppc_michael, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Is there a good Exchange client alternative, other than the awful Entourage? Apple Mail doesn't seem to work with my company's Exchange server at all (since it seems it tries to access via IMAP or...something that isn't pure Exchange.)

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unfortunately, Exchange is a MS system and they control which programs can use it. As of today that consists of Entourage. Snow Leopard will introduce exchange functionality into Mail app.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What don't you like about Entourage?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

- no GAL lookup (apart from that awful script MS gave us)
    - no task synchronization
    - doesn't play well in an office with a mix of Outlook and Entourage (it lacks the features that Outlook has)

I almost wished you could get Outlook copied exactly to OS X, or get the full version of Outlook Web Access working with Safari...

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If you're on Exchange 2007, I've got good news for you. Very soon now (the final bits are being polished as I type this), we're releasing a public beta of Entourage for Exchange Web Services. It brings you task sync (notes and categories too), GAL lookup, autodiscovery, increased performance, and a pile of other goodness. At Macworld, we announced that the public beta is coming this month, and we're definitely on track for that. If you're on Exchange 2007 and are comfortable with beta software, give it a go and tell us how you like it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The public beta is live! Go to Mactopia to apply to participate.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Hi Nadye!

My biggest complaint is Entourage doesn't feel "Mac-like." For example many of the controls are not Cocoa so they look and feel a little "weird" and sometimes do not operate the way I would expect. One example would be when composing a new message, none of those controls are Cocoa. So I can't use Cmd+Ctrl+D to quickly look up a word with the OS X dictionary, it doesn't follow my system-wide preferences with regard to spell-check, copy+paste alters formatting sometimes, things like that. While certainly all the functionality is there, it is strange to have to use "Microsoft Dictionary" and "Microsoft Spellcheck" with different shortcuts and methods when I'm used to doing it everywhere else with built-in OS X functionality, inherited from Cocoa.

Another thing that bums me out a lot is the automatic text wrapping that Entourage applies to plain-text messages that I compose. It would be nice as an option but I don't like that there is no choice but to send rich-text e-mail if you don't want your text wrapped.

9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback! Moving to Cocoa is part of our future plans, but it's a big change and doesn't happen overnight. For the beta, we didn't make any UI changes at all so that we could focus our efforts on the massive back-end changes that are here. As for the next version of Office ... well, I can't comment on that yet, but ... :D

Regards,
    Nadyne.