Good experience at the Genius Bar today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheeseadiddle, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Had a really good experience at the Genius Bar today with one of our iPhones. My wife had been complaining for a while that the battery life on hers sucked. I was chalking a lot of it up to her less than optimal charging habits. The other day she left her phone at home when she went to work. So I found it for her and checked the charge. 10%. So I synced it to her iMac and left it there. The next day about 20 hours later, she unplugged it to go to work. It showed a full charge. She said she played music on it for about two hours at work before the battery died. So I figured something's amiss.

I got an appointment at the bar this morning and showed up this afternoon. Explained what's been happening to it. The guy took out his little lighted loop and checked the moisture sensor in the jack. Asked me if I had reset it, and I said yes. Asked me if I had updated it, I said yes. He said, "OK, I'll just get you another one."

It was that simple. I was out of the store 10 minutes later with a new iPhone for her and it restored everything but the wi-fi password when I synced it. Great deal.

2. L3X macrumors 6502a

Cool deal.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good to hear, though it seems they are always checking the headphone jack first thing before they go on any further; of course after they verify whether your iPhone has been unlocked or jailbroken. Congrats on you new iPhone. :cool:

4. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

Had yet another good experience today.

I had bought a refurb 80GB iPod Classic about a month ago. It's been randomly restarting, and one time during the restart, the hard drive started clicking. So I decided to take it in today. The guy looked it over top to bottom, but couldn't make it duplicate the problem. But he replaced it anyways. Has to be ordered since they are out of stock... but I'll get it none-the-less.

So why I was at it, I told him that iPhone randomly goes to sleep and locks during phone calls, and I'll get at least one call a week where it never even rings... just goes straight to voice mail. He said, I know how to fix that... and gave me a new one on the spot.

Killer service. I've had the iPhone since July, and they replaced my Wife's last week.

5. jontucker macrumors 6502

I've had the need to make appointments at the Genius Bar twice since I bought my iPhone on launch day.

Both times they replaced the phone for me with absolutely no fuss whatsoever and couldn't have been more helpful... even down to the coffee....

It's that experience, coupled with the fact that I am still in awe of the iPhone even after 5 months, that has converted me to an iMac and I can't wait for it to get here!

Call me impressed.

6. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

7. guruji macrumors member

8. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

It's for real. A month or so ago I took our MacBook to the same bar and they had it over a week and didn't fix the problem. I took it back the same day and they overnighted it to the repair depot. That was Saturday. Tuesday it was back at the bar ready for me to pick up. I was a little ticked about them replacing the top case, logic board and optical drive in the store and still not fixing it... but it got fixed. They've totally redeemed themselves. Great service there. BTW, that's the Tampa International Plaza store.

9. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

my personal little store is sheramn oaks bloomingdales mall best service ive had. Replaced two iphone on the spot with no questions asked lol first was it got fried and second was battery. Same goes for my macbook they sent it in to applecare got it back in 2 days but it still wasnt fixed so i got a new one and right when the new one came out :D i was really happy :D

10. DAP1MP13 macrumors newbie

What city do you live in?
    Your experiences, for lack of a better phrase, seem to be too good to be true compared to mine (I'm not saying you're lying, lol, but I couldn't find a better phrase like I said).

Most of the "geniuses" at the NYC 5th ave store are douches, and are NEVER willing to just replace your product so easily, whether its under warranty or not. You have to sit with them for 45min. show them and tell them whats wrong, and then you have to verbally argue for a free replacement.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I've had similar experiences. I've had my
    iPhone since July and always hated the speaker volume. Recently, I did comparisons with some friends, and my speaker was clearly quieter. I took it into the Apple store and it was replaced ok true spot.

A little while ago, my 4G 40gig iPod broke (hard drive clicking) and I brought it in. The genius told me it was out of warranty and that the best I could do was get a $50 credit for parts. I told him that this was the second time I've had one crap out on me and that it was a known issue, so there's no way I should simply be expected to buy a new one. At that point, he gave me a new iPod for a $30 re-stocking fee.

These were both at the Plano, TX Willowbend store.

12. cheeseadiddle thread starter macrumors regular

Tampa. I just told them how the products were acting up, politely. I then shut up, and they looked them over, asked if I had reset them, then offered to replace them. Simple as that. The manager and the genius that took in my MacBook to be sent to the repair depot both told me that if it had one more major problem, they'd replace it. So these dudes are pretty fair from what I can see.