Good experience @ launch in att store anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evolesque, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Evolesque macrumors member

Att store snuck two store ninjas over to the apple store line yesterday morning. Told us there was no line at their store a block away. Went over there, 15 minutes later me and my friend had new iphones. The people at the apple store line somehow where still in line after we got our phones and finished eating breakfast.

Maybe it was just this particular att store, but I had a feeling people didn't go to att because they didn't have many phones last year?

+1 for att corp store....probably the only + I will ever give but still.

anyone else have a similar story?

2. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I don't have an Apple store within 2 hours of me, so AT&T was the only option. Last year there was a major line, but this year I only got there at about 5:45 and was 3rd in line, ended up being the first that had pre-ordered. I was in and out with my phone in about 5 minutes.

3. Mosi macrumors regular

I had a similar experience here in San Diego. I went to the flagship AT&T store downtown 2 weeks ago to pre-order which turned out to be a little bit of a headache because they had no idea how to do a pre-order, but they finally figured it out and assured me that everything would be smooth when I picked up the phone.

Much to my surprise it went exceptionally well this morning. I showed up about 6:45a and there were about 15 people in line. They came out promptly at 7am and took myself and the other pre-orders to the front of the line and I was activated and out the door within about 15 minutes. They had a full staff (over 20 people including managers) on the floor and even started letting in people who did not pre order by about 7:15 as I was leaving. I was shocked and very very happy. Kudos to the store and their staff. I wish my feelings for corporate AT&T were quite as rosy.

4. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Walked into AT&T at 1 PM CST after my boring World Literature class and asked for the phone.. Only had 32 GB versions left, wasnt expecting that and I just went ahead and bought it. Spent like 400 bucks total, couldnt be happier though.

5. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Our local AT&T store only had 4 preorders show up so they let us non-preorders in right after them. I left my house at 7am and I had my phone and was back to work before 8am. I was glad because it was really starting to boil outside the store whose front faces due east.

6. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

No

The Apple store experience couldn't have been better though!

7. Vonswanko macrumors regular

Walked up to AT&T store at 8:30 a.m, no line. Was out in 5 minutes on white 32gig 3GS. Got the last white one they had.

8. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

i pre orderd the iphone..

got their at 7 was first in line out in 8 min tops ... my ATT knows what they are doing

9. dagomike macrumors 65816

I got up like a work day and was there a little after 7. Just a few people in each pre-order and standby lines. My only complaint at ATT is they only let so many people in the store, so people had to stand outside while some of them browsed/shopped and dealt with credit/account issues. Also, they did in-store activation, but that didn't take five minutes. Once I was in, I was in and out pretty quick, but I would have rather just grabbed and go.

Anyway, not many people there. I think a lot of people bought online or insist on going to an Apple store for some reason. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't have a blowout launch here.

But, yes I had a great experience with ATT. I pre-ordered in store. I only paid $18 upgrades instead of $36. It was there Friday morning like they said, and I was on the way home around 7:30. I would do it again.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nope. About the same as everyone else. I showed up at 8 AM to get my preorder and there were five people in line. The first come line was about 20 folks. I waited about five minutes and was out in less than 10.

I heard the line at the Apple Store across the street in the mall was crazy busy. I don't know what the wait times were but people were leaving and coming over to the AT&T store.

11. Versus macrumors member

I dunno if this is just the norm, but the AT&T rep that took care of me offered to wave the activation fee if I purchased apple care. So basically I got AC for $32. All in all i was very pleased with their service.

12. OriolesMagic macrumors member

The preorders definitely seemed to help. She said that most of the preorders didn't show up in the morning. I got there around 9am and was out of the store by 9:12

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not surprised, I recall when the 3G rolled out and the apple store had lines snaking around a couple city blocks. I walked down the same street and noticed an AT&T store with an extremely short line.

I think people just go to the most popular place, or largest store to get stuff and forget that other places might also have them.

14. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Mine took 1.5 hours to get out of the store and except for the camera quality(only tested indoors so far and it seems blurry) but otherwise very happy.

Went from 2g go phone to 32g 3gs contract, nobody including the store mgr knew how to do it.