Good External DVD drive for ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cosmo.b, Sep 12, 2009.

1. cosmo.b macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi folks

Long time reader 1st time poster. Looking for advice and thought this'd be the best place to come. I'm looking to start a media centre and starting to rip all my dvds to a drive. I'm an editor by trade so I can take care of all my own encoding needs but my main bottle necks are my mac dvd drives, which are RipLocked and refuse to read any faster then 2x or 3x.

So... I am in the market for an external DVD drive which is either natively not RipLocked or one I can Flash to be not RipLocked. Speed is my only concern, burning DVD's is not an issue. I have a large ever expanding DVD collection which I need to digitise and my "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N AP09" is quite frankly a piece of crap when it comes to digitising.

I've heard Lite-ons are good and certain models aren't RipLocked. I've been onto Cd freaks and Rpc-1 but they're so PC-based it's hard to find a mac-based answer.

Just for info: I am Copying my dvds using Fairmount and then encoding with handbreak. I'm mainly using a MacBookPro3,1 with 4gb RAM for ripping, as my mac pros are busy with "real work" 90% of the time.

All comments are welcome, but at the moment my main concern is cutting down the ripping time, I don't want to spend 4 days digitising arrested development and twin peaks, I wanna start watching them again, NOW.

PS. Blu Ray, HDDVD not needed. Wanna keep the price down as well. Thanks.
  2. cosmo.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2009
  3. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2007
  4. irontony macrumors member

Dec 10, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yes I have that model and it works great. Its really quiet and I havent had any bad burns using Verbatim DVDRs.

I also own a Liteon iHas Retail DVDRW and it also works well but I find myself using the Samsung more.

Yip just get any SATA to USB or FW enclosure and enjoy
  5. cosmo.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the reply guys. The Samsung drive is a good bit cheaper than the Sony so I think I'll go for it. Any idea what speed this thing can rip DVDs? Anyone got any suggestion for a good enclosure?
    Thanks again for the replies.