Good External hard disk (wireless)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Michielfm, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Michielfm, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

Michielfm macrumors member

Dear Mac'ers,

I Have recently bought a MacBook PRO 15" 2.0. The computer is awesome (no news for you guys and girls) and I love it :eek::apple:!

As I'm starting University in 2 weeks I need to get an external hard disk mainly for backups (using time machine).
    The best thing would be if it where a wireless hard disk that I can put some where in my room and when I get in my room it should backup automatically (I think this is how time machine works:confused:).
    So what I think I need is an external hard disk for mac. It should have about 500GB storage and it should be wireless.
    I had a look on the apple site where I found some nice hard disk like Time Capsule but they are to expensive for me as I'm just a student.. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some hard disks that are not so expensive and that work with time machine. It would be nice to have it wireless.
    I will say it again in a shorter version:

HARD DISK:
    - For MacBook PRO (Time Machine)
    - 500 GB storage
    - Wireless
    - kinda cheap ;)
    - good quality (not pro or awesome just no junk..)

Hope you guys can help me out!

Kind regards and ty!

Michielfm :apple:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never heard of a plain hard disk that worked wireless. In order for it to be wireless, there has to be something to do the wireless side. Time Capsule is overpriced anyway, but it does include the wireless part.

Hard disks come with interfaces like USB, Firewire, SATA, etc. None to my knowledge come with wireless.

3. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

So the only wireless hard disk is a Time Capsule hard disk?

And then, what is the difference between a USB, Firewire or SATA disc? And is there also a Firebolt one?

4. ataboc macrumors 6502

5. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

Don't know yea maybe, you know some got usb ones that are solid an cheap?

6. Cougarcat, Sep 17, 2011

Cougarcat macrumors 604

Do you happen to have an Airport Extreme? AEs can share a hard drive wirelessly. You might be able to pick up an older model for cheap, and then use any old USB drive with it. Functionally, the equivalent of Time Capsule, and you have the benefit of easily upgrading the hard drive whenever you want.

For TM backups, USB will do just fine. Firewire 800 is more expensive but faster, eSATA is faster still but nonexistent on Macs, unfortunately, and Thunderbolt is very expensive, and not many (if any?) devices are out on the market yet.

They are pretty much all the same. I've had good luck with Lacie, and I got a cheap 2TB Hitachi from Newegg for $75 a few months ago that has been working well. Just read up on some reviews at Newegg or Amazon first.

7. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

no I got no airport. so the difference between those disks is the speed? Is there no difference between mac or windows disks or solid once and stuff like that?

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

what you might be happiest with is a NAS interface drive.

Instead of an external drive that hooks up to the computer by USB it instead hooks up to the router by ethernet.

9. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good but I don't fully understand it. So it is a disk that has to be connected to my WiFi station and through that it saves files wireless?

10. Cougarcat, Sep 17, 2011

Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes. It works just like a USB disk connected to an Airport extreme, except instead of USB, it uses Ethernet.

So your setup would look like this:

<Wireless router>>Ethernet connection>>NAS Disk>>Wireless Connection>>MBP (or any computer on your wireless network)

Here is the cheapest one I found on Newegg (I know you are in Belgium, but it should give you an idea of what they cost.) If you don't already have a wireless router, it may be cheaper to get a used Airport Extreme (or a different router that can share hard drives) + USB drive.

Hard drives are platform agnostic. You usually will have to format the drive for the Mac, but that is simple to do. SSDs (Solid State disks) are very fast, but smaller in capacity and quite expensive. Also, you wouldn't notice their speed over USB 2.0 anyway.

11. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

I got no Airport so no wireless for me then..

So you say that a USB 2.0 would be just fine? and if I want to go a little higher in price then a fire wire would be better because it is faster? And both are solid? won't break? and are there any brands in hard disks that are good price-quality?

12. zodiaque macrumors member

depending on where you are located i would have a look at www.alternate.be they have a variety of has drives

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Firewire 800 crushes USB. Firewire 400 is usually faster, though not by much. If all you are doing is Time Machine backups, you really won't notice a difference, though.

External hard drive manufacturers pretty much use all the same parts. Just read some reviews online before you pick one and you'll be fine.

14. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

So for back up firewire isn't necessary? for what is it then? You some brands maybe?

----------

I'll have a look, ty

And euhm, Is it true that when I use a hard disc on my mac I will only be able to use it on mac? so it is best get my own private hard disk??

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

FW is good for video production or running apps from the drive. Anything that needs high sustained read/write speeds. For backup, USB 2.0 is fine. Something like this should suit you just fine.

Not sure what you mean. Time Machine backups to a folder, so you can use it for other things, as well as other macs. Mac disks are HFS+ formatted, so you can't use them with PCs (well, without special software).

16. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

I think i'll just be taking a cheap (50-70 Euro's) portable one 500GB or a cheap 1TB desktop one

17. winterlocked macrumors member

I'd suggest picking up a refurbished airport extreme. 129 bucks on the apple store. You can plug in a low power USB drive and access it over your home network, or from anywhere in the world with a little bit of work.

18. jhoncraigwinter macrumors newbie

Better idea

Well this a good idea. cheap but good but useful:)

19. Jaben3421, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

Jaben3421 macrumors regular

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

That depends on the university allowing you to do it. Lots of the universities require you to register your MAC address and do not allow you to add a router in your dorm room. I wouldn't buy an airport extreme unless I was absolutely ure the uni would allow it.

21. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

thanks for helping me out everyone!!!
    I've got my self a mobile extern hard disk (WD 2TB) and I'm using Time Machine works fine :D thanks again!

22. BurningJah macrumors regular

ben een beetje laat bij het feestje!

maar er is wel een wireless hard disk => de seagate goflex satellite.
    maar denk dat dat alleen voor Ipad is