Good external hard drives for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iUseMacBooks, Oct 16, 2015.

1. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with picking a good external hard drive for my MacBook Air. Currently, I don't have anything to back up my data to, and I'd like to get a nice drive for backups with Time Machine and whatnot. I know there are various different brands, but I'm lost as far as what's good and what isn't good. I've talked to people who've said Lacie is good, and others who said to stay away from it. I was leaning toward Western Digital, but I've read that some people have problems with it. I'd like to get something rather small so I can take it with me if I travel. I've been looking around at prices online. I'd like to get at least 1 TB, perhaps 2 TB if I can get it for under $100. Do you guys have any advice as to what external HDD you prefer? Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks.

2. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Western Digital "my passport" - got 3 - they work great for me! no problems ever.

Great for travel and other back ups!

1 Leave one home for back up / clone.
    2 One for media, music movies, pictures etc.
    3 another for travel and quick back ups and other partitions etc.

3. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

Thats great to hear! I like the look of the My Passport, it looks like it'd be really good for travel, as you said. Thanks for the reply.

4. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Great price and the ultra is small - got the 500 gb - the 1 gig looks cool but never needed more than the 500

5. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

The only rule I go by is don't buy any 3tb Seagate drives...

6. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, there are some really good prices from what I've seen. If I can find the right deal I'll probably opt for a 1 TB. I don't need that much space (at least right now) but I think I'd like to have it just in case. Thanks for the help.

Very good to know. Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

7. satcomer, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would get this OWC Mercury Elite Pro add your own hard drive. This way any drive you choose to put into it then whenever that drive goes bad you can easily replace it! OWC most always include all the cables with the drive!

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I am partial to the WD MyPassport drives for use strictly as an external, auxiliary drive, as well as the Apple TimeCapsule for TimeMachine backups.

I also use a smaller (500gb MyPassport) drive for SuperDuper backups done weekly.

9. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

That sounds interesting. I'm going to look into that and consider it. Thank you.

Yeah, I'd mostly just be using it for Time Machine once I get it. I also like Western Digital. It'll be nice to have a full backup of everything because I've never really had that with my Mac.

Thanks everyone. These forums are always helpful.

10. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i have the worst luck with dedicated external HD's(WD, Seagate, yadda yadda...), half the time they fail to read after connecting them and even after reformatting them. what works for me is a laptop HD i put in an enclosure, i have absolute ZERO issues with them after formatting and connecting them. it's good to know others aren't having issues i've experienced.

to the OP, i'm not discouraging the use of a dedicated external HD that other's have no issues with; i'm just offering another alternative. i would def recommend a SSD, i have an Crucial BX100 500GB as my backup. Many will recommend the Samsung brand SSD since they have great warranties.

11. jeff7117 macrumors regular

Another vote for OWC drives. I have several different enclosures from them and they have all worked perfectly. Something with a hardware raid would be handy for critical backups.

12. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I've been using a 1TB Western Digital "My Passport for Mac" for about a year now, and it's worked fine for me.

m