Good External HD that mirrors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghostchild, May 5, 2010.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Any good external hd that mirrors data? I need 2tb or more total and firewire.

2. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

You said you need 2+TB of storage. In a two disk mirrored RAID setup, if you use 1TB drives, you'll only have 1TB storage total (as the second will be an exact mirror of the first). So if your initial post is accurate, you'll need a 2x2TB RAID 1 setup.

Edit: Unless you meant you need two separate 2x1TB RAID 1 drives... If so, disregard my post.

4. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you want a mirror of those drives, usable capacity is that of one disk (1TB), so keep that in mind.

You won't be able to use a mirror if you need access to more than that, unless you go with larger disks, which always remains 1/2 of the total capacity. It's just how a mirror works.

And also note that a mirror is NOT a backup system. For example, if you make a mistake, it's duplicated automatically.

6. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Oh i have another drive that serves as a main backup. I just need the raid for my old stuff that i need to have mirrored.

1tb is fine enough for me.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Look here. It's a mirror only from what I can tell though, but with drives, it's not too expensive.