Good external optical drive for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i2pm, Apr 25, 2015.

1. i2pm macrumors newbie

I was wondering can anyone suggest good dvd/cd external drive apart from the Apple one? What I hate about the apple one is 1. usb cable is short, 2. no eject button and 3. I heard it has issues reading discs or burning them.

Anyone know good optical drives made by other companies that has good burning skills and perhaps play/burn blu ray discs?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think there are any good or bad ones, your choices are fairly limited now a days given the limited appeal for optical drives. I'd say you cannot go wrong from anything from LG or Samsung. Just check out NewEgg or Amazon and see their reviews.

3. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

Never had a problem reading or burning discs with the apple one
    use software eject button
    like short cables

4. gmintz09 macrumors member

I have this one from Samsung. Works well for me. Cord that comes with it isn't super long, but you can probably purchase a longer one if you really need it. I haven't had any issues with it myself - it reads and burns just fine and there is an eject button.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I picked up one of these recently, it can burn and read Blu-Ray discs, has a physical eject button, and it uses a regular micro USB cable so you're not hampered by a short built-in cable: http://bit.ly/1zkWgOH

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

I've recently purchased the same drive cited by ApolloBoy, except in black and purchased from Amazon. The cable that came with it is a Y cable and it's about a foot long.

Three bits I really like about the drive - the "Mac" logo on the front and the USB 3 interface, which kicks my Superdrive's can back into its box. Plugged it in to my Mini Server - it just worked. And, no slot feed - the pop-up cover is really nice.

I made lossless copies of my CD collection - a few CDs in, and I put my Superdrive back in its box and into storage.

7. tibas92013, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Bought my first Apple Superdrive here in the Country of Costa Rica in 9/2013. This is one great device as I have "burned" over four hundred(400) copies of my original DVD Movie Collection which was quick and easy.

Since I purchased another Refurbished Mac Mini(Late 2014) along with Applecare from the Apple On-Line Store last June this Applecare Plan also covers this 2 1/2 year old Apple Superdrive until June, 2018.

I am such a fan of this device that I also purchased another Apple Superdrive when I purchased the above Mac Mini(Late 2014).