Good external Soundcard for iMac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NordmoleX, Jul 13, 2017.

1. NordmoleX macrumors member

NordmoleX

Hi,
    just wondering if any of you knows a good external Soundcard for the use with an iMac. I recently switched from PC to Mac, and with that I lost quite a good sound from my Asus Soundcard there, in combination with a 5.1 Boxset, that sound was really something.

And I am not saying that the iMac does have too bad sound, but if you're used to what I had, the iMac sound just doesnt do it. I know there are many external soundcards out there, but most have bad reviews and seem to sound really bad. Not to mention that those are usually reviewed on Windows, so I dont even know if they work good or at all on Mac.

I wonder if someone here maybe also got the same problem that I have with the Sound, and already found a good solution. Not to mention that I dont always want to listen via Headphones, but mostly speakers. If someone here has good experience with an external soundcard that is a mix of A) affordable and b) sounds really good and c) is working on Mac, please let me know.

I am surprised about the sound on the iMac, which is not bad at all, for a all-in-one in any case. But still, if you had the b00msound rocking, you cant go back to the sound of the iMac speakers. ;)

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

The Mac's audio capabilities are pretty much "built into it".

If all you're looking to do is hook up speakers, I can think of a couple of ways to go:

1. Get USB-connectible speakers, and utilize digital/audio out via USB.

2. Get a USB-digital audio converter (DAC). They come in all kinds with prices from reasonable to astronomical.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

4. NordmoleX thread starter macrumors member

NordmoleX

And how did you connect that to the mac? Chinch out to the 3.5 mm of the Mac?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

The Cambridge device looks like it can connect via either:
    - USB connection
    or
    - digital/optical (from headphone port)

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I connect it via USB. Provides superb audio quality.

7. NordmoleX thread starter macrumors member

NordmoleX

Ok, so I need that, attach it to USB, and a speaker set that I can use. For my PC i had an older 5.1 Logitech Speaker set which was fine, and a very nice Asus Soundcard. I simply miss that sound. You think I can do that with this Dac ?

Is that correct, there is no headphone possible on that thing ?

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Definitely a USB sound device and I'd be looking for one with a USB cable long enough as to not put stress on the USB port. You can find devices with just a 3.5mm stereo jack in/out or others with separate L/R input/output jacks. Some have stereo output jacks and an additional headphone jack. The one matreya just posted above fits that description.

9. NordmoleX thread starter macrumors member

NordmoleX

From what I can read in the reviews on german Amazon, it seems like its a good device, the Behringer, but hard to setup. I suppose there is no real driver for this thing for Mac, at best an ASIO driver, correct ? From what I read there, and thats not about Mac, it seems that thing sounds quite good but not easy to get there. Is that correct ?

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

On the US Amazon site the reviews from searches of "MacBook" or "iMac" are mostly 5 stars. No drivers are required for it to work with the Mac.

11. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane