Good, free anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac12345678910, Mar 5, 2015.

1. mac12345678910 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine apparently got his macbook infected. I have not taken a look at it as of this writing, but he says he gets pop ups on his web browser (he uses safari). I've been out of the loop with this sort of thing and was hoping you guys can help me find a free anti-virus software to get rid of it or if there is another solution. Thanks

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

There are no viruses for OS X. There are trojans which are different. There is no need to install anti-virus software on OS X. This can happen if download and install software from a untrusted source.

What type of popups is your friend getting? A screen shot would help.

3. Weaselboy, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is more likely is he inadvertently installed some adware on there.

Have your friend do a boot to safe mode by holding the shift key at startup. That will prevent any login or startup items (like adware) from running. Then download and run the app AdwareMedic to find and remove the adware. Restart afterwards.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As Weaselboy suggested, your friend has adware, which can be easily removed via AdwareMedic.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

5. mac12345678910 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone. Adware medic worked got the job done. Really appreciate it guys. I read the guide as well and gave my friend useful tips to prevent this from happening. Also suggested using Chrome as I find it safer due to all the extensions out there.

Thanks again everyone.