Good *FREE* Antivirus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ideal.dreams, May 2, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if there are any good, FREE, antivirus programs for Mac OS X. I'm not having any problems in regards to viruses/security, but I'd like to see if I'm actually carrying around any viruses that could cause damage to a window's machine.

Also, there has been a virus going around through school via flash drives, so when I plug mine into a Window's machine I don't want it to get infected; I'd like to scan that as well.

Thanks!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No need for a Mac OSX virus scanner. There are no viruses for OSX. OSX viruses can not infect a Windows computer and vice versa. A Mac can be a carrier of a windows virus though. As far as a windows virus scanner goes, i recommend McAfee.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm aware of that, as I already mentioned in my original post, I want to scan for viruses to make sure I'm not carrying around one that could infect Windows and I also want to make sure there isn't one on my flash drive.

4. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A Windows virus can't run on, and therefore can't infect, your Mac. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install. As for sharing files with Windows users, read the "What about sending files to Windows users?" section of the following link:

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Then you need a virus scanner for Windows to scan for Windows viruses, not OSX.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

:headscratch: I'm missing something there, I'm sure, since I would have thought those two were equivalent.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Woops. Ment to say OSX trojans and malware can not infect Windows.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wassamatta? Got a virus or sumthin? :D
    [​IMG]

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

djvbdfjbd;uvbdf;bureb;. I'm exhausted and studying for my Business Law final tomorrow. I figured you would come into this thread and clean up my mess ;)