Good free hosting website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MathBunny123, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

What is a good, simple hosting website to put my HTML / JS / PHP code?
    *FREE!

2. christianboyce macrumors newbie

christianboyce

Re: Good free hosting website?

Not free, but close: www.fatcow.com . Note: I am a member of the Fatcow affiliate program.

3. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

I need free :(

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your internet service provider usually give you a small free site.

If you need other people to access the site, then use service with free accounts such as https://wordpress.com/
    If for testing, use something like MAMP and run it on your own computer.

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Try this on for size, better than what other's are saying

http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is dependant on whether you have a fixed I.P. Most ISPs do not provide this by default. It's also not a great idea to do this for security reasons if you don't know what you're doing.

8. rctlr macrumors 6502a

Dynamic IP Addressing is a pain, but can be solved by things like noip.org and a little app on your computer.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I second this, if you don't plan on publishing it online use WAMP MAMP XAMP

10. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

11. anonymoushost macrumors newbie

Advise you not to go for free hosting because it has many disadvantages and less advantages which might ruin all your efforts towards the site/project. Remember that everything has a price here and nothing is for free :)

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Heroku has been my "go to" for most of my non-MS projects.

The free tier is a single dyno (like a small app server instance), easily scaled, deployment is simple via Git.

Single free dynos will "sleep" if idle for 60 minutes, then just require a hit to wake (<15s or so). They also offer a free DB tier for Postgres, it's the Basic-Dev, has some limits like no more than 10K rows, low/no caching, etc.

While I've only used them for Rails and Node, I did for hoots push up a PHP app, and it worked as expected!

:cool:

13. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Very true. Well, once I get older and I can pay by myself I'll pay for sure! Or maybe I can get one of those pre-paid visas.

----------

Wow, that sounds awesome. I've heard of Heroku before... hmm.. maybe I should learn Ruby on Rails.

14. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

There are lots of free hosting companies out there, however none of them come without compromises and many bring headaches with them. Most will heavily restrict bandwidth, space and some will overlay ads. If you are looking to get started building websites, free hosting is good, however they are rarely good and reliable enough for you to host websites you want other to visit (good enough for yourself and friends, not so good for anything else). Using a localhost server is often a very good alternative to using free hosting and often comes with less headaches. Hosting is generally cheap and can be found if you do your research. If you need some free domains as-well you can get them here: http://dot.tk