Good free media encoder for Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bay2sacto, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bay2sacto macrumors member

Are there any decent free media encoders for OS X Leopard? When I was using windows I used a great free encoder named Super! which took care of all my audio/video encoding/transcoding needs. It was usually better than Sorenson Squeeze or Cleaner paid encoders. I would love to find a similar product now that I've switched to the light side ;) I have handbrake but it seems to only be a DVD ripper/MP4/h.262 converter.

Thanks!

2. Queso macrumors G4

VisualHub just went open source and is now called TransCoderRedux. Not sure if it's released any binaries yet, but if not it probably won't be long.

3. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I just missed the boat with VisualHub :( I don't think TranscoderRedux will be ready anytime soon as they had to do quite a bit of code cleanup first. And what they have released is early alpha I believe and just source code.

I've looked at ffmpegx, which didn't seem to do a great job on the file I tried. I always seem to run into audio sync issues :(

4. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Please re-read my original post.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why don't you tell us what codecs you need? Most of us use Handbrake, Visual Hub, QuickTime Pro ($30) and MPEG Streamclip (free but requires Apple's MPEG-2 codec, $20).

VLC can do some transcoding.

There's also Divx convertor ($20), Flip4Mac Pro ($30) plug-in for QuickTime and Flash Media Encoder.

That's pretty much it.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

These two steps are all you need:

1) Download and install the Perian codec package for QuickTime.

2) Download QTAmateur. It lets you transcode video like QuickTime Pro, but for free.

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Handbrake. It can now accept a lot more formats than it used to.

7. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Well I already have Handbrake which only takes DVDs or VOBs for input, which I stated in my original post and is why I said to re-read to the other poster. EDIT:See below

Since VisualHub was pulled there seems to be a void left in the market for a quality, free media encoder. And yes, I'm aware it was open sourced but it will be a while before a usable product is available.

Flash Media Encoder is only for Flash Encoding. I have Adobe CS4 which has Adobe Media Encoder, but it won't run on my MBP :confused: for some reason, may need a reinstall.

I'm looking for a replacement for Super! which allowed drag and drop encoding of files from/to just about every audio/video format, batch encoding and was free. Think VLC or Miro but for encoding. VLC has a transcoding feature but it can be hit or miss.
    I do have Perian already :) I'll give QTAmateur a try. And I didn't notice the change in the latest version to allow more input types. I'll give handbrake another whirl :)

One last thing, is there a OS X DVD ripper like DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter. I know Handbrake rips dvds but as far as I know it won't strip encryption/region coding like DVD Decrypter.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

MacTheRipper is your best bet for ripping DVDs to disk.

Honestly, QTAmateur/Perian and Handbrake have pretty much all the transcoding basics covered. As a last resort, you can try messing with FFMpegX for importing or exporting some more exotic format.

9. Queso macrumors G4

10. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

You can grab the alpha (binary) of transcoder redux (formerly visual hub) here.

The guy who has taken over comes across as an exceedingly nice chap, so be sure to help him out with any bug reports you can file.

If you are interested, here's the thread where he announced himself;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=584869