Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Have a new late 2015 iMac but istat menus doesn't seem to show all the temp sensors, only hard drive?

Do you know of a good free one? or minimal cost.

thanks

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
iStat Menus does show all of the temperature sensors. I initially had the same problem as you, but an uninstall and reinstall of the software fixed it. Note that the "Reinstall" menu item in iStat Menus did not fix it - I had to use the Uninstall menu item and the manually reinstall it.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
smcfan control.

Shows temps at various points as well as lets you adjust the fans. It's free too. boom.

interzone826

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2017
Have used Macs Fan Control for years, and it's great. Will show any temp sensor you want in the menu bar, and also lets you manually control any fan speed.

Reactions: briloronmacrumo

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
Have used Macs Fan Control for years, and it's great. Will show any temp sensor you want in the menu bar, and also lets you manually control any fan speed.
My trust in Apple's iMac cooling plan is minimal, so Macs Fan Control ( or something similar ) is always running on my iMacs. Minimum/maximum temperatures are set to encourage fan speed to ramp up slowly but always run at least 200 rpm faster than Apple's idle speed. While this is by no means a solution to what I consider sub-optimal cooling on standard iMacs, it does mitigate a little and hopefully the iMac Pro's cooling will migrate to the other iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.