Good Free Text Program? (like Pages or MS Word.... only free?)

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hey, i have a new mac but i dont have any programs to write papers on it. are there any suggestions for a free program?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
OpenOffice is good too. A lot of people here prefer NeoOffice since it doesn't require X11, but I like the X11 better as it is more up-to-date and sports a better interface. I personally use Pages, but I have OpenOffice around for the occasional spreadsheet.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I would go with NeoOffice or Abiword. They are free and open source. Also, you might be interested in some of the other great free software for OS X. Take a look here:

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

Enjoy!

Edit: Wow that was a lot of replies fast! Anyways I would second LaTex (in the form of TexShop) if you are into that kind of thing... it is VERY valuable to learn and extremely powerful... if you are a physical scientist you essentially need to know how to typeset in LaTex.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
TextEdit, my favorite :) It uses the system spell check and dictionary. Has formating options, can open word, be used as a plain text editor for html, css, etc.. great little program.