Good, free word processors

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pavementskate, Nov 11, 2007.

1. pavementskate macrumors newbie

Does anyone know any good alternatives to Microsoft Word? Or where I can get it for free? Notepad and TextEdit are not cutting it anymore.

2. kflook macrumors member

3. theman macrumors 6502a

been using neooffice since getting my mac about a month and a half ago. its a lot like MS word. pretty good.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

i'll continue the trend with saying NeoOffice. it is great. functions just like MS Office and you can edit any documents.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

If you are just looking for a word processor, Abiword and Bean are both free.

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I have been using NeoOffice and the sister program, OpenOffice for more than a year with excellent results.

8. atarin macrumors regular

I vote for NeoOffice, as well! It's really great! I started out using Open Office for Windoze before I switched to Mac, and then started using NeoOffice in August (no need for X11). I still can't believe it's free!

9. MacAodh macrumors regular

Neooffice is the best, used to use word and to be honest with you i think on an intel mac especially, it's far better then word

10. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

I love NeoOffice, err loved Neoffice, it has not worked at all since i upgraded to Leopard. Nothing comes up but the Neoffice text in the upper left of the menu bar,i cant even quit it, got to force quit it.
    :(

11. theman macrumors 6502a

That's why you should have done an erase and install (I assume you did upgrade install, no?)

I did erase and install, and downloaded/installed the latest version. Works perfectly.

12. atarin macrumors regular

I did an upgrade install, and I have had no problems with NeoOffice in Leopard. Try installing NeoOffice again (there is an update available, anyway). That might fix the problem. I would install the NeoOffice update before reinstalling Leopard. Less time involved and reinstalling Leopard is kinda overkill if the update fixes the problem.

13. techie4life macrumors 6502