Good FTP Client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marioman38, Apr 5, 2012.

1. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I've been testing out a few FTP clients lately and prefer "Flow" BUT, it is 10-20x SLOWER than others!

With Yummy FTP I get around 800kb/s xfer speeds

With iGetter I get 2200kb/s xfer speed (thanks to segmented downloading)

With Flow I get 80kb/s speed

I prefer Flow, but it is slow. iGetter is kinda ugly and not designed for FTP very well (can't even do SFTP). Yummy FTP is in the middle for speed and layout.

Anyway to speed up xfer's with Flow I can't stand its TERRIBLE DL speed :/

I also tried CaptainFTP, don't remember the DL speed, but the layout wasn't my thing.

2. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I use transmit also
    I believe Finder has built in FTP too

3. MarkMS, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Free/Opensource: Cyberduck
    Payware: Transmit!

EDIT: Cyberduck is free from their site, but they pulled a Growl and are charging $24 in the Mac App Store. Ouch. Before I moved to Transmit, I remember Cyberduck being good and even donated $5 to them.

Transmit is $34 on the App Store.

4. MartyTheMacMan macrumors newbie

Yummy is faster than Transmit in my experience, and only $10 on the App Store now, so in my opinion you already found the best one in Yummy. It's what I use for the very reason its fastest.

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Another vote for Transmit. It also works with Amazon S3 which is a huge bonus if you use it for either storage or delivery.

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Cyberduck is great and free. Otherwise I would use Transmit.

8. alvindarkness, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

alvindarkness macrumors 6502

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fetch. Its free if you have an edu email addy or using it for charity. Its done me fine for all ftp, sftp, etc transfers in the past few years and it has no problem saturating all the bandwidth my connection can offer (approx 12Mbits/sec).

I did get ForkLift as part of the (just ended) Macupdate software bundle. Yet to really see if its any faster/slower, but its a very nice interface and quite polished software. Can connect to almost anything, including S3/SMB/AFP, and is touted as a finder replacement. Cant recommend it yet though, as I haven't used it enough. On a side note ForkLift and Fetch both allow FXP, which might be useful to you.

I used to use Cyberduck, would've been back in the tiger or leopard days, can't remember why I switched to other software.

NOTE: Just realised the www.mupromo.com bundle still has 17 hours to go, which includes forklift. Might be worth trying the trial out, and if it suits you, theres a chance to grab a bunch of other good software for cheap in the process.

9. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

Currently using Transmit. I also like Interarchy.

10. bvlgari macrumors newbie

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Transmit. But don't try any of of their major upgrades unless you want to lose all your saved servers. Customer support is lacking also.

It's a solid, dependable FTP app otherwise, even though I always use the one in Coda.