Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
After all my whinging and moaning about the delay in my iMac being delivered the lovely, lovely, lovely UPS man rang on my door yesterday and slid the magnificent machine in to my possession. I told him I loved him, very much, but he looked frightened and ran away.

Any way, it just looked so damn beautiful when I took it out of the box, I just sat there purring :eek:. I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to set up, heavenly.

I'm just stunned by the screen (24"), I know so many of you don't like its glossiness but I think it's spectacularly magnificent (I'm beginning to run out of superlatives here). Browsing through my photos has never been this much of a thrill, it's a joy.

This is my first ever Mac (what a debut!) but I'm surprised by how I'm coping so far in terms of getting used to the OS, the switch from Windows hasn't proved half as testing as I feared it would.

My only difficulties so far (it's early yet, I know) have been with Mail - I was able to receive email, but not send it. I did some Googling last night and discovered most Mail users seem to be experiencing the same problem, it looks like it's related to an smpt glitch. In the end I had no choice but to switch to Thunderbird. It's fine, although there seems to be a glitch there too re moving junk mail from the inbox to the junk folder.....and I get so much of the stuff every day this is a big deal for me. I can move it manually, but I just can't get it to move it automatically despite enabling the function that is meant to do this.

Foolishly, after paying for iWork I'm now pretty certain I'm going to have to pay out for Mac Office, I'm just too used to using Word and Pages isn't doing it for me!

Only other (mini) problem: I loaded a couple of thousand photos and have been trying to organise them in to categories. iPhoto did its best to sort them by events but they're all a bit muddled. I can't find any 'sort by size' filter in iPhoto which is a real pain, I have dozens of duplicates and the size would be the easiest way for me to find them all. I'm also still struggling to figure out the exact difference between 'albums' and 'events', I need to do some serious studying to work this one out :eek:

What else?

The keyboard (wired)? I love it. I've used dozens over the years and this, without any doubt, is the sweetest I've ever worked with. Bizarrely, I actually enjoy typing now.

Time Machine? Wow! Accidentally deleted a couple of photos, remembered my stupidity a couple of hours later, almost wept with panic, checked Time Machine, and there they were. :)

More than anything, though, I just find using this machine and the OS to be.......FUN! Seriously, everything is just easy, pleasurable and fun, the look, the feel, it's gorgeous! If I'm stuck on something it doesn't take me two hours to find the solution, I'm sorted in minutes thanks to the help menus.

As so many have already said: why oh why oh why oh why didn't I switch YEARS ago!

I'm sure I'll be back daily with loads of questions, but for now: thanks to everyone who told me go for it....the best purchase I have ever made.

24" Screen
2.4GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive
IOMEGA 500GB USB2 EXTERNAL HDD-GBR
LOGITECH Z4I SPEAKERS 2.1-GBR

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Hey congratulations on the new machine.
Post some pics if you can. Let us know how you're getting along, impressions, etc.
Mick
ps I lived in Blackrock for a while.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Hey congratulations on the new machine.
Post some pics if you can. Let us know how you're getting along, impressions, etc.
Mick
ps I lived in Blackrock for a while.

Will do Mick. Blackrock says hello, needless to say it's raining as I speak :(

ramb27

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
toronto.on.ca
Congratulations on your new iMac!!! 24" and no less - good choice.

I am going to order one as well.

May I ask when did you order and if Leopard came pre-installed on the machine?

Thanks.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Congratulations on your new iMac!!! 24" and no less - good choice.

I am going to order one as well.

May I ask when did you order and if Leopard came pre-installed on the machine?

Thanks.

Hi ramb27, no Leopard didn't come pre-installed.....I didn't have the patience to wait that long! But the disc arrived a few days ago and the installation went like a dream, no problems at all and it only took 30 minutes.

I ordered my iMac on October 16 and it arrived on November 6, so it was a relatively long wait. But I'm in Ireland so the trip from China, via the Czech Republic and the UK, sounded like a bit of a marathon.

Liong612

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
Congratulation on your new imac!

Before you spend any money to buy ms office for mac.. download NeoOffice and give it a try.

The user interface is 99.99% similar to Ms Office, and it can save to Ms format.

I works for me.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Before you spend any money to buy ms office for mac.. download NeoOffice and give it a try.

The user interface is 99.99% similar to Ms Office, and it can save to Ms format.

I works for me.

Many thanks for that info Liong612, will definitely give it a try before I spend more money that I don't have, if you know what I mean :eek:

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Congrats on finally getting your iMac! I totally understand what you mean, the OS, the hardware.. it all comes together to make a computer that is truly a joy to use.

To be honest, I have not been this excited to get on my computer and just play around with stuff since the Amiga days... and those days were loooong ago.

schreck

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
New England
It makes me happy to see someone enjoying their machine so much. I felt the same way when I switched over.

Keep on enjoying that beast, hermano. If you have any questions along the way, we'll be here!

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
Many thanks for that info Liong612, will definitely give it a try before I spend more money that I don't have, if you know what I mean :eek:

I, too, would suggest trying other options before going for Office for Mac. I was in your same position. I thought for sure I was going to have to use Office for Mac (even though I had pages). But in all honesty, Office for Mac is just a little different than the PC. It feels more like Pages anyway.

In the end, however, I find myself using Pages more, as it is a little more flexible. Of course, it's all in what you're used to and every one enjoys something different!

Enjoy your new iMac. As you'll see from my signature line, I have a 24" and absolutely love it!

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
:eek:

Maybe I spoke too soon.

(1) Time Machine no longer functioning (see 55 zillion other posts on this and other websites), having started off beautifully.

(2) iTunes behaving badly, often refusing to start up.

(3) Printer no longer working, having been fine at the start. Now getting message about failure to open port, or something like that - whatever I do I can't get it going again, Leopard isn't detecting it when I start from scratch.

(4) Mail still unusable because of smtp problem, can receive mail but can't send it.

Oh well. Can cope with most of the above, but the Time Machine glitch is a major disappointment.

But..........I still love my iMac. :)

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
From one new owner who is positively in love with his new iMac to another... congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.