Good Going Steve...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pawn3d, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pawn3d macrumors regular

Today I'm going to express a genuine complaint about a real design flaw in the Power Mac G5. It all started when I bought Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse.

Just to have a wireless mouse & keyboard, I had to go through 3 phases of buying stuff.
    • Purchase Bluetooth devices
    • Purchase Bluetooth upgrade
    • Purchase Bluetooth Antenna

After I configured and paired my keyboard and mouse, I noticed a MONUMENTAL DROP in my internet speed, although my airport showed I still had 3 bars. (I have several other macs, so I knew it was the G5.)

It took me a while to figure it out, but it was the "Antenna. I was downloading a 25MB file and it said 3 Hours Remaining. So I pulled the stupid "Antenna" and it IMMEDIATELY jumped to 4 minutes. (If that's not evidence, I don't know what is.) But what I also discovered is that the "Antenna" is not really an antenna at all, but merely serves to "unlock" the computer's ability to connect with BlueTooth devices. That's right. After pulling the Antenna, my bluetooth still works fine and so does my Airport.

So what's up Steve? Why all the hassle just to have a little wireless? What should I do with this "Antenna"? Should I carry it in my back pocket just in case my devices become unpaired?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

It's all Apple... Where did I say I was using 3rd party crap?

Or are you saying that a mighty mouse that came with a iMac is not supported if you use it on a G5?

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Can you post pictures of this? I've not heard one single person ever post about this 'design flaw' until you have, so either you're doing something wrong (not unlikely given your streak of posts here) or else all the other people with G5 towers have missed the flaw.

All the other Macs of that era (and before, and after) had nothing like the 'unlock' except the 802.11n upgrade (and that was software, not hardware).