Good "GPush" Alternative

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Branden Dae, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Branden Dae macrumors newbie

Could anyone recommend a good GPush alternative since they'll be ending their service soon. Below is the email they sent.

-----
    Dear GPush user,
    Thank you for your loyal use of GPush. Unfortunately, we have determined that the value added by GPush beyond such products as Google's own push notification service is not sufficient to merit our continued maintenance of the service. We will therefore be shutting the service down as of December 31, 2010.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    Sincerely,
    The GPush Team
    -----

Not sure what "Google's own push notification service" is referring to past using Exchange, but I like having the alert notification pop-up for emails which the Google app does not do! Thanks!

2. JeffMonty macrumors member

The Google mobile app offers Push email now. It was updated awhile ago. Under settings you can add up to two accounts for it to check.

3. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

You can set up your gmail to push emails to the iPhone mail app. That's the best method but if you want a 3rd party app to do it use boxcar that's the second best choice. Both methods are free.

4. Branden Dae thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for the replies. I already use the Exchange push for Gmail, but also like having an "alert" notification pop up for it as well, which the Google app does not do, only a badge... I'll try Boxcar!

5. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I use Mail Notifier and it works great. Been using it for more than a year now, I believe. You should check it out :)

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love Boxcar because it has some different mail sounds than every other iPhone out there. (Which I often hear when I'm out in public.) That and the 'quiet hours' (times you DON'T want it to alert you) make it far more useful than using the basic push e-mail.

7. ironicninja macrumors newbie

Just started using Push Gmail and it works great so far

8. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I can second push gmail. It does a good job and had retina support.