Good Graphic Design Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moonchilddave, Nov 26, 2011.

1. moonchilddave macrumors regular

Ok, I can't justify the price of Photoshop. I do some light image editing/creating mostly for the web and am looking for a good program that works well with 10.6. I used to use MicroFrontier's "Color It!" as it allowed for the use of Photoshop plugins. My main go to package was AlienSkin's EyeCandy mostly for the bevel, shadow, glass effects. But the latest version of Color It! just seems ancient and it works with very few plugins these days it seems. I just liked how easy it was to use and the same with the EyeCandy effects plugins.

So any suggestions on a good alternative that is under $100 (for the program itself)? A bonus would be if it supported PS plugins.

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Photoshop Elements. Supports most Photoshop plugins and version 10 has several options built-in. $99 retail, but right now $45.98 (download) at Amazon.

3. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Pixelmator can get the job done.

Edit: sorry didn't fully read your post. This is not what you need. :p

4. moonchilddave thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, seems like a bargain... I went ahead and ordered the bundle that has Premier Elements as well for $70 (seemed like a good deal for both). I occasionally use iMovie '11 and sometimes find it a little limiting so figured I'd give PE a shot.

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Hope PE works out for you. I would have bought the bundle but already had purchased PE 10 by itself. If you get into PE, then I suggest looking at Topaz Labs and the variety of plug-ins they offer. I use Topaz Adjust. Check out their web site.

6. marty1990 macrumors 6502

you could try the gimp. gnu image manipulation program. open source. i used to use it before i bought photoshop.

7. newagemac macrumors 68020

If you are doing mainly web design, you shouldn't be looking at Photoshop anyway. Adobe has Fireworks for web design and for that it is much better than Photoshop. Photoshop is best for print graphics and photo editing and retouching.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Good plan with Elements; it's actually very capable. For some projects I actually preferred it over my copy of PS since the workflow was even simpler and faster.