Good Graphic Design Program

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Ok, I can't justify the price of Photoshop. I do some light image editing/creating mostly for the web and am looking for a good program that works well with 10.6. I used to use MicroFrontier's "Color It!" as it allowed for the use of Photoshop plugins. My main go to package was AlienSkin's EyeCandy mostly for the bevel, shadow, glass effects. But the latest version of Color It! just seems ancient and it works with very few plugins these days it seems. I just liked how easy it was to use and the same with the EyeCandy effects plugins.

So any suggestions on a good alternative that is under $100 (for the program itself)? A bonus would be if it supported PS plugins.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Photoshop Elements. Supports most Photoshop plugins and version 10 has several options built-in. $99 retail, but right now $45.98 (download) at Amazon.
Thanks, seems like a bargain... I went ahead and ordered the bundle that has Premier Elements as well for $70 (seemed like a good deal for both). I occasionally use iMovie '11 and sometimes find it a little limiting so figured I'd give PE a shot.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Hope PE works out for you. I would have bought the bundle but already had purchased PE 10 by itself. If you get into PE, then I suggest looking at Topaz Labs and the variety of plug-ins they offer. I use Topaz Adjust. Check out their web site.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you are doing mainly web design, you shouldn't be looking at Photoshop anyway. Adobe has Fireworks for web design and for that it is much better than Photoshop. Photoshop is best for print graphics and photo editing and retouching.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Good plan with Elements; it's actually very capable. For some projects I actually preferred it over my copy of PS since the workflow was even simpler and faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.