Good Handbrake Settings for ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by niteflyr, Nov 13, 2015.

1. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

For all you videophiles out there, is anyone using any different Handbrake settings for the new AppleTV 4? Is AppleTV 3 preset still a good choice for now?

2. rkieru macrumors member

rkieru

I would assume so.

I use Permute instead of Handbrake and have had zero issues utilizing its AppleTV 3 preset.

3. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I have been using the AT3 preset but stripping out the AAC audio and only using AC3 since AT4 has trouble defaulting to AC3. I play black via Plex so I really don't need the AAC track.
    The only changes I make are RF 21 for Blu-Ray and change Tune to Film or Animation.

4. CptSky macrumors regular

The AppleTV 3 preset is still valid for the ATV 4. The only change between both ATV is that the new version supports level 4.2 of H.264 while the previous version had only support up to 4.0 (so you can change that when using the ATV 3 preset). Also, the ATV 3 preset will limit the framerate to 30 FPS, but the ATV 4 supports up to 60 FPS. Nothing else changed.

Handbrake still doesn't support E-AC3 for MP4 containers (and support for MKV containers is only in the nightlies). It will be the other thing to consider for ATV 4 when Handbrake is updated.

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Thank you for this :apple:

6. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Is there any way to get your Handbreak files up to the cloud so that the ATV can access them like the movies on iTunes? I k ow I can connect to my computer and do it that way, but I have a MacBook Pro and it's not always on like a desktop would be.

Thanks in advance.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

The best handbrake setting for the ATV4 is plex

8. cynics macrumors G3

I always used high profile and just adjust the encode speed to the max the decoder can handle for file size. Typically veryslow for blurays and slow for dvds.