Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I was debating between the B&W p5s and the V-Moda Crossfade LPs; has anyone tried either and would like to share their experience?

Or are there alternatives that are just as good but aren't $300 :p? I currently have an in-ear pair so no need for another in-ear pair (unless there's a high-end one going at insane discounts!) Thus I would like one that I could wear for a long time comfortably and provides good passive noise isolation. Sound-wise I prefer to listen to a more neutral sound (damn I'm getting a bit demanding aren't I?) but if that's beyond my $300 budget I would prefer a slightly warmer and a slightly bass-heavy sound.

Thanks for the help! :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I was debating between the B&W p5s and the V-Moda Crossfade LPs; has anyone tried either and would like to share their experience?

Or are there alternatives that are just as good but aren't $300 :p? I currently have an in-ear pair but would like one that I could wear for a long time comfortably and provides good passive noise isolation. Sound-wise I prefer to listen to a more neutral sound (damn I'm getting a bit demanding aren't I?) but if that's beyond my $300 budget I would prefer a slightly warmer and a slightly bass-heavy sound.

Thanks for the help! :)

If you have a $300 budget, I'd suggest actually looking into Sennheiser. They're incredible. I'd also suggest checking out http://www.head-fi.org and http://www.headphone.com which are the two best sites on audiophile listening. Hope that helps. ;)

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Hmm thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll definitely hit up the websites and find some time to test them out.

I forgot to clarify though I was specifically not looking for in-ear headphones since for me they tend to amplify my chewing while I eat (lol I'm weird, sorry :p) and I have one already. I was looking for over the ear headphones for office work or home listening. I'll definitely look at the Sennheiser headphones; if they have a mic that's a plus.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
In that case, here's a great portable, non in-ear or earbud headset. These things get rave reviews. Definitely not in the $300 range, but a great set! I think you'd like these.

Sennheiser MM60 iP

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
I have and absolutely love the B&W p5's. Sound is amazing, and the design and quality of the build makes me admire them every time I pull them out of the case. The only downside is the pads are so soft and close fitting that they get a little warm on my ears.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Hmm thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I'll definitely hit up the websites and find some time to test them out.

I forgot to clarify though I was specifically not looking for in-ear headphones since for me they tend to amplify my chewing while I eat (lol I'm weird, sorry :p) and I have one already. I was looking for over the ear headphones for office work or home listening. I'll definitely look at the Sennheiser headphones; if they have a mic that's a plus.

bose qc15...they're great. crank up the volume and no one knows what you're playing

I think he wants a mic too.

how about bose in ear with my mic. $129. it is very great

He doesn't want in-ear.

I third them.

Save your money on the <Anythings> by Dre ... they are overpriced and are cheaply constructed. They are a fad and not even a good one.

Same with Skull Candy. Skull Candy pales in comparison to my $14 Sennheisers!

wattsja

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
bose qc15...they're great. crank up the volume and no one knows what you're playing

I would have voted for these also because they are great with some of THE best noise canceling available ... BUT, the OP requested the earphones have a MIC and these do not.

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I have and absolutely love the B&W p5's. Sound is amazing, and the design and quality of the build makes me admire them every time I pull them out of the case. The only downside is the pads are so soft and close fitting that they get a little warm on my ears.

Do you wear glasses by any chance? If so, how is it after sustained periods of wearing? Sounds like it's quite a snug fit...

Save your money on the <Anythings> by Dre ... they are overpriced and are cheaply constructed. They are a fad and not even a good one.

Strangely enough I haven't seen people wear them outside; but it does seem a bit too bass-heavy. Based on build-quality alone I agree; I would rather get the B&W p5 over their over-ear variant which is the same price.

Macficionado

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Do you wear glasses by any chance? If so, how is it after sustained periods of wearing? Sounds like it's quite a snug fit...

Strangely enough I haven't seen people wear them outside; but it does seem a bit too bass-heavy. Based on build-quality alone I agree; I would rather get the B&W p5 over their over-ear variant which is the same price.

I have the BnW p5 and wear glasses. They do fit very tightly but it hasn't been an issue. My biggest issue with them is that I have a relatively large head and they barely fit. You may want to go to an apple store and try them on to see how they fit.

I'd have Bose QC3 and Sennheiser HD650 and I have to say that the sound quality of the BnW p5 is really stunning and almost as good as the HD650 to my untrained ear. i particularly dislike Sennheiser device designs; they're really tacky and poorly crafted, regardless of their actual sound quality. Therefore I'm not getting rid of these anytime soon.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
BoleCailey said:
I got lucky and scored the 10vi's for like $90 when amazon closed them out.

You lucky bastard! JK :D

Wish I was able to get some back then.

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Does the whole concept of breaking in new headphones actually do anything or is that a placebo effect?

(I'd get the s4is if it were uber-cheap but alas, they're not :) )

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Does the whole concept of breaking in new headphones actually do anything or is that a placebo effect?

(I'd get the s4is if it were uber-cheap but alas, they're not :) )

It does. The drivers are usually very "stiff" when they come out of the factory. Playing music through them for a while loosens them up, and the bass response gets better.

I wouldn't necessarily run them for hours, but just realize that the bass will get better and don't return them just because the bass is weak at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.