Good headphones

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Techguy172, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Ok so im looking for good headphones for around $100
    so far im looking at the bose in ear and the V-Moda vibe are there any others i should consider also does any one have an opinion on the two headphones i mentioned.

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Shure is a great brand, I definitely recommend their headphones :)

3. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

4. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Says the man who considers buying Bose (Bose has a REALLY weak price/performance ratio).

5. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Shures are nearly $300 im not made of money bose are only 100

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

You can get NIB Shures cheap on eBay. I bought a pair of E4Cs last November for $181.40 back when they were selling for $300 retail. If you're interested, I bought them from Global Digital Media Exchange - great seller.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I have many friends that are musicians or audiophile music buffs and they have recommended the Shure E2C or Grado SR-80 depending upon what type of headphones you're looking for.

Shure makes several different models, at least a few of which are in your price range. I've had my E2c's for about 2 years now and they've been awesome.

8. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

it seems the shures are reccomended I shall consider them however the v-modas look amazing

9. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

God, don't waste your money on Bose headphones.

10. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Recommendations any other shure

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

It really depends what use these headphones are for..? Sitting at the computer? Aeroplanes? Cars? Walking around? Can you narrow it down to whether you want over the head traditional headphones or earphones? Then, if you decide you want over the head cans, whether you need isolation or not. Give me a better idea of what you'll be using them for and I'll throw some suggestions your way. I'm not an audiophile really, I just know a little bit about headphones.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I own the V-Moda's and everytime I let anyone use them all they can say is "wow" repeatadly. Seriously, those things are beyond anything I expected of them, they replicate sound so accurately it is astonishing. I highly recommend those to anyone looking in the 100 dollar range. Plus you get a V-Moda VIP card that gives you discounts on a bunch of their products and other cool stuff.

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I really like the Sennheiser ones that Apple sell on their website.

14. verticalforce macrumors member

Please god, don't buy Bose.

Shure, etymotic (lacking in bass though but very neutral), v-moda (some said that it's overrated) and Sennheiser CX 300 (lotsa fake, buy this in retail store) are some good choices.

I would recommend either the new Shure SE210 or Sennheiser CX 300.

I'm using Shure E500 (SE530) and it's awesome!! (400 bucks retail, i got it for 270 on ebay)

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
  16. noaccess macrumors 6502

I second this. If you're looking for something in the 100$ range and you're looking for great design, then the V-moda Vibes are the way to go.
    Linky

EDIT: If you ever come back to this thread, Zwhaler, I'm curious as to what colour Vibes you got :)

17. tristan123 macrumors newbie

I'd recommend the Sennheiser PX100. I've had these for a month now and I love them. I think these are a better deal then the more expensive PX300s.

18. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

I've been using the UE-5c for some months. Outstanding audio and comfort.

BB

Edit: Just noticed the $100 budget. Oh, well...

19. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

I can totally recommend Etymotic ER6i headphones. I have been using them for the last 6 months in a variety of different environments and they are excellent. Great isolation and very neutral sound. Not for bass-heads but saying that the bass is amazingly tight and more than strong enough if you get a good seal.

20. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Sennheiser CX 300.

Good for the price. Like it. Good clarity.

The problem or shall i say advantage depending on your preferences is that in canal ones like Shure blocks out external noise. Now this is wonderful for listening in the airplane or train. But for me, It is suicidal to use it while riding a bicycle or walking precisely for the reason that you wont hear whats happening around you (ie car approaching).

The CX300 doesnt block sounds totally meaning it is not as good for isolation BUT it is the best compromise between hearing SOME outside noise and good in ear sound.

Hope that helps.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

22. raptor96 macrumors regular

Bose makes decent stuff but their money goes into marketing and researching really innovative **** (like their new suspension system)...none of that research makes it into their products though, they have very average stuff.

That said, I have a pair of Shure E2Cs which are amazing so I 2nd 3rd w/e those.

However, if you don't want to be run over because you're wearing them as you walk (they're not kidding about sound isolation - I've almost been hit a lot by cars that I couldn't hear) you should check out Grados. Grado makes amazing stuff and their headphones are cheap for how good they are. I'm saving to buy some as my next set - SR60s are great but lack bass the SR80s are amazing and bassy - prices are about what the models are (60 and 80 respectively) so well within your price range.

23. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

You know what that wasn't needed and don't bash other companies products. It only leads to fights

As for everyone else Thanks for some suggestions more are welcome it seems the shures are well recommended.