Good housekeeping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cosimo, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cosimo macrumors newbie

Hello, I am new to the forum, I took a few mins to look for answers in previous post but didn't find anything relevant to my query.

Here goes, I have just switched to a new macbook. I have used a pc for several years. I'm enjoying the experience so far. One of my concerns is whether I should be performing any regulare tasks to keep my new mac in good condition. While using a pc I would regularly scan for spyware and adware. I would also use an app called c cleaner to get rid of useless stuff that would stick to my machine while using the web. Should I be doing something similar on my new mac?

I have read several comments about there being no viruses, spyware etc about 30 mins ago, a pop up message appeared telling me I should scan for spyware. It gave me the option to proceed, I declined and was taken to a web page advertising some sort of anti spyware software. I got in a bit of a flap so didn't read much of what was on the screen and just clicked no on the pop up box which asked me if I wanted to scan my machine. I think it was for something like win anti-adware or something like that. I haven't experienced anything like that for years. I was using firefox at the time, earlier in the day I had been browsing around for tips about adware etc and think the site I was taken to was one of the pages I looked at.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You don't really need to perform a bunch of maintenance like you did on Windows because OS X, for the most part, takes care of itself. That's not to say that maintenance is absolutely unnecessary on OS X, because there are people who will tell you otherwise, and say to use OnyX or something similar. ;)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I completely agree with wise ol' zephead. Using OnyX as an example, if you're not sure what a particular function is then don't run it. OnyX is a powerful app and can cause a bit of damage if not used properly. That's why i never install it on any of my machines at work. In terms of maintenance, sleep it at night rather than shut it down so that it'll automatically run its maintenance scripts. Since it's a laptop, calibrate the battery immediately after purchase and again every month. That's about all you need to do. Enjoy. :)

4. cosimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on that bit of adware? Is this something that I expect and just ignore?

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It's not adware, it's just a pop-up (which thinks you're running Windows) probably trying to install adware, which won't work because you're not running Windows. So any Windows-styled pop-ups saying you have adware are BS-ing you.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

You don't need Onyx.

This is a UNIX system. It takes care of itself for the most part.

7. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yeah, just close the pop up windows. You are not going to need to worry about spyware and adware.