Good IDE for C (C99)

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by NRose8989, Apr 23, 2009.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I'm in a C & Unix class and were starting to get into writing some C code.

I'm coming from a java background and I've always used eclipse because it helped me learn the language faster because it caught errors for me without having to compiling it and I really like it because of the auto code complete.
    I haven't really gotten into xCode but does xCode have auto code complete? and can it find errors on the fly like eclipse?

Are there any other IDE's I should consider instead of xCode or Eclipse? I'm only doing console based programs so I don't need anything special, just something with code complete and syntax checking (without having to compile).

Thanks.

EDIT: Also I'm still pretty new to this so bear with me but I have to use the GCC compiler, if that matters.

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I don't believe XCode does any sort as-you-type syntax checking (at least that i remember), but it will flag lines where errors occur once you have compiled.

As for code completion... with C this is less of an issue in my mind than OOP languages. Perhaps if you dot a variable it could show you structure elements if it's a structure, but otherwise i don't know what you would be auto-completing. Maybe function parameters? I've actually never tried the auto-complete in XCode for plain C, so it may do that.

I guess i'd say that you can give it a shot... can't hurt.

-Lee

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Sun's Net Beans does C. If you are on Linux or Solaris there is Sun's "studio 12". But most people who write C simply use the terminal window and a text editor.

4. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya I've used netbeans before.. I think ill give that a try.

5. bkap16 macrumors member

Why not stick with what you know?

Why not just stick with eclipse? Even though it was originally a Java editor, it has plugins for just about any language you can think of. The C/C++ plugin, called CDT, is one of the officially supported ones. Download the C/C++ development tools plugin from the Software Updates menu and you're good to go. You'll probably need to download XCode to get GCC, but Eclipse is a better editor.