Good Idea for something like the Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Schnebar, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Schnebar macrumors 6502

On my Verizon Phone you can get a free program called Song ID which lets you put your song up to a speaker and let it play for like 20 seconds then it tells you the name of the song and asks you if you want to buy it through VCAST.

I think that would be a great thing for the iPhone or Touch.

Maybe it can even be made by a web app.

As long as it isn't infringing on Verizon's copyrights.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/05/23/verizon-launches-vcast-song-id/

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

I wish that the Starbucks thing was something all cafes could enable. Its such an awesome idea and I would use it a lot in some of the coffee houses I go to.

3. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

While the store specific model may take awhile because 1.) retailers move slower than tech companies and 2.) Starbucks and apple have a deal (like AT&T), I think that this could really encourage "places/stores/etc." to install free wireless.

People have noted that Panera has it, and I'd sure be more willing to pop in there than if they didn't. Wireless is relatively cheap (router plus ISP fees) and could become more pervasive if people had wireless devices on them all the time rather than carrying, pulling out, and turning on a laptop.

Of course, with 3g (and eventually 4g and maybe Wi-Max) networks, it could eventually become a moot point, but the iPhone limited to AT&T doesn't speed up that process.

4. Schnebar thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if I explained it enough but it would be cool if you were like walking downtown and could check what song was playing in any store as long as you have wifi then buy it instantly using a song ID program.

Or even at home listening to radio with your iPhone or touch in hand. Then being able to recognize the song and download it.

5. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Eventually it would be great if Apple could package this device and software into a router that a store you just plug in. It could play their CDs, or they could play music from itunes (depending on the business model, stores would pay or get it for free, I'm not sure what would be efficient).

THEN, you could download from the many Itunes-on-the-go stores, the retailer would get music to play and a small cut of the proceeds, and everyone would be happy.

Plus, you could bundle free wireless for ipods (maybe all devices) and encourage WI-FI enabled ipod sales.

Hey, maybe Apple would even learn that they can trust retailers, and start selling computers in more of them!

6. indraunt macrumors newbie

I'd love something similar built into iTunes for streaming radio broadcasts. I can think of nothing cooler than sitting back and listening to TripleJ (the best radio station on the planet, thankyouvermuch), with iTunes showing me which song is playing with an iTunes store link to purchase it.

Y'all know this'd be cool - how many times have you missed the name of a cool song on the radio, losing the chance to ever find it again?