Good idea for the eMate 300?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ariii, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I've always been pretty intrigued by the eMate 300, and I might get one. I'm like 13 and want to practice systems programming, and what I would do is port Unix for it and try to create a simple interface. Should I try to only do the commmand-line for it or create a GUI? And, is it even possible? I'm definitely willing to learn new languages if it could apply elsewhere.

2. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Ummm... bump?

I found a lot of 7 eMates on Craigslist for $15

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I would buy the crap out of those!! lol :p

4. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Yeah!!! Actually, the only reason I wasn't going to buy one is file compatibility, which this would definitely fix. I just wonder if it would be worth it.

5. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

For $15? Sure. They're good fun to play with.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I don't know anything about programming or what it would take to run a different OS on an eMate (or any Newton OS device for that matter) so I can't really help you there. I've got an eMate, MessagePad 2000, 2100, and 100 so I do have some hands on Newton experience. I love the things. The eMate is cool device with the keyboard included, but the MP2000 and 2100 with the faster processors are really fantastic and can easily hook up to a keyboard. The price of eMates is really good right now though, so if you want one, go for it. What right now is a better buy for $15 these days?