Good Idea? iPhone Hard drive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chomby1991, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chomby1991 macrumors member

Who else has always wondered why there isn't a hard drive based iphone? Sure they say it could be damaged easily but i'd never had a problem with my ipod video in its day. It would be cheaper and faster and less physical space per gb. I think that it would definately sell quite a bit being able to buy an iPhone with 160gb hard drive, sorry but 16gb is not an ipod. Post your thoughts and ideas for the iphone

2. moka macrumors 6502a

i was hoping apple would introduce a 32GB iphone 3G when they came out, but i guess not... i don't know why they think 16GB is enough. for me its not enough at all.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

There is a hard drive based iPhone... 8GB/16GB black and 16GB white?!

When apple first released the iPod it was only a small HD because bigger HDs were to big and expensive to put in... Now look at it. As you said theres a 160GB version.

Over time the iPhone will get bigger space.

4. chomby1991 thread starter macrumors member

No, The iphone is flash based. flash takes up more space but doesnt have moving parts

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ok you know what i mean. I honestly dont see Apple putting a Hard Drive into a phone. That gets used everyday and gets dropped etc... too much risk!

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Battery life is much better with solid state drives.
    Also SSD is going to become the way of the future.

7. chomby1991 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but the thing is that sure there are people who drop it but i never had a prob with scratched hard drives. looking at the business class that their aiming for with enterprise for iphone i doubt they'd drop it either. i think maybe a split line like smaller flash based ones for all the rich little kids who do damage to their phones.

8. chomby1991 thread starter macrumors member

well you see the battery life is fine. i charge my phone every night so what? and fine when they can get ssd as cheap and as compact as hard drive then ill give it a shot but for now i rather space over battery

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Have you ever considered how THICK a hard drive is? The 80 gig Classic is quite thin, and it is like that because the screen and the hard drive aren't on top of each other which they will be in the iPhone since the screen covers the entire front.

There is no way Apple will sacrifice thin/sleekness for the sake of the few people out there who think that carrying around 200gigs of video and music is so critical to their day to day lives.

10. ValientHimself macrumors member

If you are aiming for the enterprise market, you don't need a phone with 160gb. It would be more the opposite, you would want a phone with 160gb for the "rich little kids" market that would feel that it's necessary to have all of their music and movies on their phone at all times.

Additionally, if they made a 160gb iPhone, it would be a lot fatter, and have worse battery life. Not something enterprise users would be happy with.

11. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

agreed

12. chomby1991 thread starter macrumors member

Fair Point but that doesnt solve the fact that i have to filter out all my music to get a decent selection on it. sure be alot easier with all my music on it.

13. chomby1991 thread starter macrumors member

Nvm guys, ive given up my ideas. i agree it wouldnt happen and that it wouldn't be worth it. best shot is to go get a 160gb classic and just keep movies on the iphone. in time with the improvement of ssd we will start seeing larger capacity etc etc. still leaving open for discussion but yeah. thanks for your thoughts guys.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I for one don't want to be carrying around a phone as thick as my 80 GB iPod. Besides that, there's a lot more components in an iPhone than an iPod/Touch (cellular radio, GPS, etc.), it's not like they can just toss in a bigger drive and be done with it.