Good Idea, maybe? Torrent download box?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jan 18, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

A piece of hardware the size of the Apple tv, or the Mac Mini, which would only serve one purpose. That purpose would be to just download torrent files, to internal or external storage with an easy to use GUI and minimal power consumption with a price tag around 150.00 - 300.00. The device could be connected to your tv or pc monitor. The idea would be to save on power, instead of running a computer to do it for you. It would be great if it could consume less power than say a Mac Mini. All it would need would be a processor like the one found in the Ipod touch, small and efficient. You would use a wireless keyboard or remote to control the device. its ports would include power, usb, firewire 800/400, esata, gigabit ethernet port and maybe wifi though i am sure the data would be written on the fly. The OS would be a small and light version of Linux. Heavily modified to only run the main torrent program.

I don't care who created it as long as it works properly. Would it be a good idea? Though for all I know it could be already created and on the market!

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think a number of NAS devices already have the ability to download torrents. Not sure about connecting to your TV though.

This is the sort of thing:

Linky

$250 but without the hard drives, and without a proper search so it maybe the most expensive one out there!

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

There are plenty of routers which have this capability, and the AppleTV you mentioned can handle the task no problem too. Check out stuff on torrentfreak.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The TS-109 II is fanless (and actually cools itself better than the Time Crapsule) so practically silent (and you can quieten it further by putting it on a rubber sheet) and functions as a Bittorrent client. Speed is unfortunately similar to the very low levels of consumer Apple networked storage, but at least it's not worse.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=92