good idea to buy refurbished ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marlon bishop, Dec 10, 2014.

1. marlon bishop macrumors member

Im in the market for a new Macbook Pro 15 inch. I like to save a dollar or two when i can. So is it worth buying a retina macbook pro refurbished directly from apple ? or am i better off buying it brand new ?

Thanks!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Referees give a very good value for money. They're like new and you may sometimes get unexpected free upgrades from Apple.

3. leman macrumors 604

I would even say that its always better to buy refurbished, unless you want the newest model which has not yet hit the refurb store.

4. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

how is it better? just curious.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.
    Each refurbished unit goes through a rigorous inspection and testing process, to identify and correct any defects. Each new unit does not receive such rigorous individual inspection.

6. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I've only had one questionable experience with an Apple refurbished computer, and it was replaced with a new one. They bend over backwards at the Genius Bar for you just like if it were brand new.

One odd thing, they wave the restock charge on any returns, or at least used to at the Apple Store I returned one to. They said something about the original owner already paying it...

But yeah, I've had phenomenal luck with the Apple refurbished units. Now, whether I'd ever buy something like a Best Try 'open box' or their 'refurbished'? Nah...

7. leman macrumors 604

You get the same product with the same terms (warranty, return, service), but significantly cheaper.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Many of the 'refurbished' units at the Apple Store are loaner units, or units that were purchased and returned with little use. Some were demo systems too I've heard.

They get, usually, new skins, new power adapters, a through going over, and a nice lower price with the same Apple Care potential as new.

There was a company a number of years ago that got into selling 'refurbished' equipment, but disallowed them to be covered by their extended warranty programs. It made purchasing one of them a real crap shoot. You saved money, but if it was crap, 'Sorry' was all you got.

9. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I am aware about the warranty terms and apple care coverage as well but I got burned once with refurbished product (NOT APPLE). I know Apple prides itself of good customer service and their refurbished products are stringently tested before selling it back but I guess I am just skeptical going back to this route. :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In my experience, Apple's idea of refurbished is a different animal than most other companies' idea of refurbished. While I wouldn't trust refurbished items from most companies, Apple is the notable exception. Since Apple refurb products are covered by the same warranty as new products and also qualify for AppleCare, there's no more risk than buying a new product.

11. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

There are only 2 disadvantages with buying Apple refurbished:

1) Ugly brown box instead of fancy retail box
    2) Not all products are available and never BTO

12. Praesto macrumors regular

I would just buy new model year off ebay.

I did that just recently (Literally have had my laptop less than 1 week)

I saved $700 by doing this, and it is current model 15.4 512/16/750M. Good luck finding a refurb for half that savings on a previous model. (I Just checked, none save you $350[or half] of $700)

By % base that is a 23.35% discount off total cost. Most apple refurb is a 15% discount off MSRP which lowers to 11-13% after taxes.

On eBay I paid no taxes and no shipping. Buying a refurb requires an online purchase but generally there is free shipping. Taxes though will still run you up to $200 depending on the model.

13. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Surprised everyone is recommending Apple Refurb over buying new from B&H Photo. At the moment, the base 15" machine could be had for $1699 new -- the same price as the refurb. Best Buy also had tremendous values just two weeks ago. For a long time, I thought one couldn't do better than Apple refurbs but some resellers have really slashed the prices. While I trust Apple with refurbs, buying new would increase the resale value later.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Not really since they are as good as new.

Buying refurbished can also come with a free surprise upgrade.

15. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Any difference would be negligible at best, but if you can get a new machine for the same price as refurbished, naturally you should take advantage.

The 2011 MBP in my signature was purchased brand new from an Apple authorized retailer for a price that was significantly less than an identical refurb, so it's not unheard of that similar deals can be had now.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't think anyone is recommending refurb over new, but rather, pointing out that there is no disadvantage in buying Apple refurbs. For some models and configurations, you may be able to buy new from B&H or other retailers at a price equal to or below that of an identical refurb unit. That isn't true across the board, so checking prices and comparing always makes sense.
    This is true quite often. It's nice to order a refurb with 8GB RAM, for example, and receive one with 16GB.

17. Praesto macrumors regular

Or surprised downgrades. If it is refurbed because of a bad gpu connection chances are it will resurface again.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not true. Such defective components are replaced before offering the Mac as a refurbished model. They are not sold with known defects unrepaired.

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Bad GPU connections are rampant on new models too. And you never get surprise downgrades with Apple refurbished.

20. Praesto macrumors regular

The surprised downgrade was supposed to be the GPU connection lol.

----------

Agreed - Point is as provided in other threads here, unless I read incorrectly, they replace it similar to how it was first done. Which means the problem can show itself anytime from Day 1 to Day 1460

I am, by no means, advocated against a refurb for this reason. I purchased a version with a dGPU and I am aware it can go bad.

My personal preference is eBay NIB with moneyback gaurantee no shipping no tax.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Defects can appear in any product, new or refurbished. There is no disadvantage in buying refurb because of this, and it may be safer than buying new, since refurbs receive more intensive individual testing and inspection than new models.

22. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

The only issue I see with B&H is, once you open it, you cannot return it.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a pretty significant issue, since you can return an Apple refurb within 14 days, no questions asked.

24. marlon bishop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the pros and cons. when i make that step into purchasing the Mac-book pro ill most likely go with a refurbished.

----------

the Macbook pro i want is $-483 from the original retail price :)